New 5.5 gallon tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsv456

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started the fish hobby some i dont know much.:)

Anyway so i got a 5.5 gallon top fin aquarium kit a about a week and a half ago

I got home got everything set up and got everything running, i then let it run for 2 days. The next day i went and got 3 zebra danios because i read that they are good beginner fish. When we got home i let the bag float for 15 mins and then netted them in.
Then i noticed later that evening that one of the bigger zebras had a smashed eye. I guess that happened at the store.
They were fine for about 3 days then the one with the smashed eye died. i thought that it was a result from the smashed eye. Then the next day i went to the same petco and got 1 zebra and brought him home. All 3 were happy for 2 days then the 2 original started not looking very healthy and then later that day they both died.
The last one was fine for about 2 days then he died in the night.

So did they die because of disease or from the nitrogen cycle?

PS i do not have a water testing kit.

I'm pretty new to the fish hobby world, somewhat new.. Had fish nearly 3 years ago but got out of the habit, but I would guess since you didnt allow your tank to cycle before adding fish high ammonia levels probably killed them. The first time around I had fish I did the same thing, set the tank up then added fish a few days later. After doing that and really researching the hobby I learned about cycling and at that point it was to late and I had fish die off frequently and i just accepted the fish dying off was just part off it until I learned what all you can do to keep your fish healthy. This time around I'm doing things the right way and letting it cycle on its own and testing water and everything (again something i didnt so the first time around) and not adding fish until levels are right. I can tell you you need to let a master testing kit, or buy tests (liquid not strip tests) for ammonia nitrite and nitrate separately. It will take time for your tank to cycle, if all of your fish end up dying (which I hope they don't!) I would stop buying fish and let your tank cycle with a fish less cycle, I'm sure someone who can give you more info on cycling will chime in and be more helpful! Good luck and keep us updated!

Thanks for replying
Im going to start a fish less cycle and go get a water test kit

Back
Top Bottom