new 50 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rainbow shark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just in the planing stages but I'm thinking of starting a new heavily planted 50 gallon w/rock cave for shark and a medium piece of driftwood. It will be my second tank so I'm still new to this. I was thinking of this as a stocking list.

1 rainbow shark "already have"
3 cory cats
6 tiger barbs
6 zebera dnios
2 blue gouramies
2 bamboo shrimp
1 mystery snail

I think all these should get along peacefuly and not overload my tank?

Ya that sounds good might want to get a few more corys and have a sandy like substrate.Blue gouramis I've heard they get aggressive with each other....someone else might have to fiil you in on that one.Other thatn that I think your good and you have to cycle it(or did you do that already?).

thanks for the input I thought of the gouramies but I heard that the blue ones aren't as large and agressive. Maybe I'l get a few more corys

Gold gouramis are more docile than blue ones, and while blues can be aggressive with each other it's more of a momentary thing. If you want to add these get a m and f. They are failry easy to sex even at the size that they are sold in pet stores. However, I will say that gouramis and tiger barbs are not ideal to keep together because tigers barbs can be nippy and this can cause probs with the gouramis feelers. I do agree that a few more cories would be a better choice.

Is your tank a long or tall one? The reason I ask is because you have a lot of bottom dwellers and if you don't have enough space for them you may run into territory issues.

Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders, are you going to have enough water flow in the tank for them?

depends on if you want a deep or like a 2" substrate.For a 50G go for about 75 pounds not sure on that though.Go with pfs(pool filter sand) I heard it's really good!

thanks I'llprobably get 100lbs of pool sand.

my tank will be long not tall

I have updated my stock list. here it is
AquStockImage.php

Does anyone see any problems?

I will have 1 1/2 inch sand substrate, lots of rocks "shale", one large piece of drift wood, 2 Amazon swords, and 6 or seven other smaller plants.

I think you should go for 6 instead of 10 Z danios.Also 1 dwarf,but I'm entierly sure.Not sure about the rest though

I agree.. 10 Danios is alot. They eat almost everything before the flakes/food can actually make it down. I have to physically feed the food with the flow of the filter head so food goes down, and actually reaches the Gouramis and others.

Thanks, maybe 6 danios then. Does anyone have an opinion on the red cherry shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom