New 55 gal set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaitlinTaylor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I plan on setting up a 55 gal tank up by myself after help at school with setting up my nano. I've picked out the equipment I think I want. What do you guys think about it? And do i need anything else? Any input is very much appreciated!!

Tank- MARINELAND 55 gallon aquarium/LED hood/stand ensemble petsmart.com

Filter- Hagen AquaClear power filters 300 (70) drsfosterandsmith.com

Skimmer- SeaClone protein skimmer SCPS 100 drsfosterandsmith.com

Heater- MARINELAND Visi-therm heaters 200 w drsfosterandsmith.com

Thermometer- Coralife digital thermometer drsfosterandsmith.com

Wave maker- hydor koralia evolution pumps 1050

Just let me know if I should look at different items or if I need to add something.

I like the live rock from saltwaterfish.com. It's the premium Caribbean live rock

What do you guys think? I also need choices for sand too.

I'm thinking about an eel and lionfish as stock. Can I add anything else? Also anything that I need to avoid getting fish and coral wise with these guys?

What coral do y'all recommend?

The filter is mechanical filtration that runs water thru pads or carbon. The junk the builds up on the filter pads can be bad. The skimmer you get will be removing the protein from the water. A reactor is filled with gfo and carbon water will pass thru the media. Gfo is to help avoid phosphate issues leading to algae outbreaks. The carbon polishes the water and keeps it looking clear.

Yeah I will be buying my own lights. I never use what comes with the tanks

Back
Top Bottom