New 56 gal stocking ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeIshmael95

Aquarium Advice Regular
I transferred all the gravel decor and water from my 45 gal to this new 56 gal. (Hoping to keep my cycle). My 45 was tall and hexagon shaped so this rectangle looks so big and empty to me, especially with all of the new floor space!

image-2292358513.jpg

Also for this new filter, hoping its cheaper in the long run.

image-682863514.jpg

Anyways, I'm looking for stocking ideas.
It currently has...

1 female silver molly
1 male marble molly
2 female balloon mollies
3 red minor tetras

I used to have 6 red minor tetras but several months ago columnaris killed off three of them and a school of neons. And I wasn't wanting to add anymore fish for a few months so I haven't replenished their school.

Other than that I want ideas!

However, I absolutely CAN'T keep small fish (guppies, neons, etc) alive. And as much as they add to the tank, I'd prefer to go without them rather than killing them.

Any suggestions on stocking and decor would be awesome.

Keep a close eye on the water parameters. Since you replaced the filter you'll likely go through a mini cycle. There isn't all that much BB in the gravel and almost none in the water itself.

I'm getting the same tank!

As far as my stocking, my long-term plan is:

• 3 mollies (Dalmatian, Orange Sailfin, Gold Panda)
  • 3 Platys (Red Wag, Gold Twinbar, then whatever other one looks cool at the store)
  • 2 dwarf gouramis, one regular, one "honey"
  • Some sort of swordtail, possibly a lyretail
  • Rubber-lip Pleco because they stay small
  • Red minor tetras, guppies, and neons, won't get into those since you're against them and/or already have them
I'm going to TRY with a female betta sometime toward the end, but I'll be prepared to have to take her out if she takes issue with some of the others.

Since you're not having small fish, you could always try a Pictus Catfish! They have a tendency to eat smaller fish, but look awesome. Then again, if your livebearers are breeding, this may not be the best idea. A little school of cory cats or upside-down catfish could add some cool drama to it! Or a blue crawfish. I haven't done a ton of research on them yet, but in general they seem to get along with most fish.

Edit: For decorations I'm doing live plants, some larger "natural" looking ornaments like tree branches or rock tunnels, small piece or two of driftwood, then a few fake plants to add a littttle bit of different color, and one fallen buddha statue to appease my boyfriend.

Have fun filling your tank!

I'm getting the same tank!

As far as my stocking, my long-term plan is:

[*]3 mollies (Dalmatian, Orange Sailfin, Gold Panda)
[*]3 Platys (Red Wag, Gold Twinbar, then whatever other one looks cool at the store)
[*]2 dwarf gouramis, one regular, one "honey"
[*]Some sort of swordtail, possibly a lyretail
[*]Rubber-lip Pleco because they stay small
[*]Red minor tetras, guppies, and neons, won't get into those since you're against them and/or already have them

I'm going to TRY with a female betta sometime toward the end, but I'll be prepared to have to take her out if she takes issue with some of the others.

Since you're not having small fish, you could always try a Pictus Catfish! They have a tendency to eat smaller fish, but look awesome. Then again, if your livebearers are breeding, this may not be the best idea. A little school of cory cats or upside-down catfish could add some cool drama to it! Or a blue crawfish. I haven't done a ton of research on them yet, but in general they seem to get along with most fish.

Edit: For decorations I'm doing live plants, some larger "natural" looking ornaments like tree branches or rock tunnels, small piece or two of driftwood, then a few fake plants to add a littttle bit of different color, and one fallen buddha statue to appease my boyfriend.

Have fun filling your tank!

I absolutely love this tank. And the new filter, mostly because its quiet. I've never really done much with platys, I've had a few. But absolutely nothing with plecos, I don't even know what they are. I've only had one Cory... But he was unhappy so I took him back.

I really want a nice centerpiece fish. Like a gourami or something, but columnaris also took my last gourami and I'm not quite over the loss of of Peaches, my male gourami...

I dunno, maybe I just need an open mind. I always stick to mollies and tetras because that's what I know best. :)

Are angels and mollies ok together? Most of my mollies have been fin nippers...

Oh you are set on getting the Mollies?

Nevermind, Im dumb...didnt realize you already had them. A Paradise Gourami would be really cool. Odessa Barbs are also really nice looking fish.

I had tiger barbs once. They were murderous buttfaces. :p

How big do those gourami get?

You could definitely do a few gourami. I always kept one of each species together, never multiples, and I always had success. You could also try a few smaller cichlids. Rams, keyholes, apistos, or festivum.

I ended up getting a powder blue gourami. How old do you think he is?

image-547928839.jpg

image-1455545783.jpg

I still need to buy more decor. I have two plants that have finally sprouted.

image-1213178954.jpg

image-2159710024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom