New 5g Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musicfreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thinking of starting a 5 gallon betta tank. I currently have a freshwater tank but there is no way I could put a betta in the tank, due to the aggressive fish that I have in it. The tank that I have has been up and running for about 6 months now fully cycled and all that fun stuff.

My first question would be should I use some of the tank water from my other tank to help jumpstart the cycling process? I have heard of people doing it so was wondering if it was feasible or not.

Also I'm thinking of doing a black sand substrate instead of rocks. I like the look of the sand but have never done anything with it. Any suggestions on working with sand?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will have a heater for the tank and of course a filter.

Filter media that you can take from your cycled tank is good. That's where most bb is, with some in substrate and decorations. If you can't spare your media, swish it in tank water and pour the goop in your new tank filter. I've done both and had them work, just make sure the goop gets caught in your 5 gals filter media.

Thank! I was thinking of that idea as well. Was not sure if that was the way to go. I'll probably go that route.

I personally have never had sand before, but I have read a ton of journals where it's used and it seems like the trick is to pour the water in carefully and allow it a while to settle. From what I've read, you should also get a MTS to pop the gas bubbles in the sand.

You won't regret putting the betta in the 5 gallon. Mine was in a bowl for 3 years before I finally realized they needed a heated tank and moved him to it. He was so much more happy and active in the new tank, but he got very sick while in the bowl and passed away a few days ago. He was so much fun to watch though, happily swimming around despite the giant white mass on his side.

You'll love having a betta.

I've got a betta in a 10 gallon with sand, mts, and 2 cories. I love sand. So do my fish, which is good because they're the ones who have to live there :p Thinking about setting up a 29 for them. Just be sure to rinse the dickens out of it.

Betta girl, I am sorry you lost your little guy.

Sorry about the loss of your fish :( I have had many bettas in the past. This will be my first time doing it the right way I guess you can say. When I was younger I always had them in a bowel because well I did not know better.

I love the look of sand, I figured this would be the best way to try it out on a small scale. If I really love it I will probably put it in my other tank. Although getting all that gravel out that's in it will be a pain.

Do anyone think I could also put a cory in there or no? I think that might be to much but am not totally sure. Otherwise I might go the MTS route.

Cories prefer to be in groups, which in that size tank even pygmies or dainties might stress out your betta. Most would say a group of cories and a betta would be too much in a 5 gal, I have no experience with that however. I do know that all bettas are different, but to be safe I would go the mts route. They will burrow farther than the cories will snuffle and pop any gas bubbles in your sand.

Yeah I was reading and it looks like I will need to invest in some MTS. I would love to have a cory though, but I don't think I want risk it.

Is there anything else I could put in there? I'm just worried about the MTS taking over the tank. I've never had snails so I'm a little worried about that happening. I've heard so many horror stories about it.

When I started my 5 Gal I put half of established water in and it helps really good

Also I don't know a lot about sand but I know it takes forever to clean

If you get overrun with mts, put an add on here, then catch them by blanching a slice of zucchini and putting it in the tank overnight, then grabbing it and the snails on it before turning the lights on. Haven't tried it myself but it's the most heard of veggie I've heard to catch snails with on here.

That's a good idea! I will have to keep that in mind. Hopefully I will be ordering everything today or tomorrow so hopefully it will not take that long to get here.

I got everything ordered today so hopefully it will get here within a week or two. I'm excited!!:D

Back
Top Bottom