New 60 gal set up help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katrinag

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I plan to upgrade from a 20 gal to a 60 gal community tank. I currently use a
hang on back filter but I want to change to a canister filter.

The tank will be able to be seen from all sides so I am trying to limit what may need to hang and take away from the tank visually.

Any advice on what brand canister/type? I have read some things on Eheim and
Fluval.

What do you reconnmend for a heater. I also read something that a heater can be integrated with the canister filter?

I would like to have a planted tank with sand. Can anyone advise if I need a substrate underneath the sand? My current tank has gravel and I just started adding plants.

I want to get the best I can get. This probably will be the last tank at get for a while. Thank you in advance !

My tip that I tell everyone is that when you have a larger tank, use two heaters, each half of the strength you need. That way if one gets stuck on or something you will be less likely to cook your fish. Likewise if one heater stops working you will still have some heat from the other heater.

Sand is nice, I also like Eco-Complete. Depends on budget and personal preference.
Good Luck!!

I'd use Eco complete, I think it looks a lot better since its black and the fish would look brighter in it, I have sand in my 75g and I really wish I would of used Eco complete. (Used Eco I my 10g)

Back
Top Bottom