New 70g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jk83lfcn said:
I need to take the rock from him this weekend if I'm taking it as he is moving too a new house and unfortunately I have a RO/DI unit being delivered but it won't be here until next Thursday :-( so would it be ok too use he's water too??

Itd be ok imo hopefully his water parameters are all good that would be my only concern but sounds like you dont have much choice

danbstrong said:
Itd be ok imo hopefully his water parameters are all good that would be my only concern but sounds like you dont have much choice

Thanks Dan,Ya not alot of options really, he is also giving me he's protein skimmer so now I think I might build a sump as I have a spare tank witch is about 20g would that be big enough for my sump do you think??

Jk83lfcn said:
Thanks Dan,Ya not alot of options really, he is also giving me he's protein skimmer so now I think I might build a sump as I have a spare tank witch is about 20g would that be big enough for my sump do you think??

I highly reccommend a fuge down in the sump for nutrient export

Jk83lfcn said:

Heres an example sump if your building

danbstrong said:
I highly reccommend a fuge down in the sump for nutrient export

Was going to go with something like this does this look ok? Is the fuge the middle compartment??

image-2635467461.jpg

Jk83lfcn said:
Or any better ideas would be great!

Thats what im using on my 55g but i like this new style better

Attachments

• _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 88
Jk83lfcn said:
Or any better ideas would be great!

Both styles are fine what i like about this design is control over flow thru fugi

danbstrong said:
Thats what im using on my 55g but i like this new style better

That's cool but I don't have too much space, did you post a pic of your sump??

Do I have to have a hole up high in the tank for the overflow or do you syphon it over the top? That can be dangerous if your return pump stops I suppose. How does the controlled overflow work?

Jk83lfcn said:
Do I have to have a hole up high in the tank for the overflow or do you syphon it over the top? That can be dangerous if your return pump stops I suppose. How does the controlled overflow work?

Basically you keep the water lever in sump low enough that if pump stops the sump wont flood

danbstrong said:
Basically you keep the water lever in sump low enough that if pump stops the sump wont flood

Oh yes that makes sense and just have your overflow pipe in the water just enough that when it drops below it it stops sucking:) cool! What do you think of that sump lay out I put up? Is that the fuge in the middle of it?

Jk83lfcn said:
Oh yes that makes sense and just have your overflow pipe in the water just enough that when it drops below it it stops sucking:) cool! What do you think of that sump lay out I put up? Is that the fuge in the middle of it?

Yep fuge in middle imo chaeto is easiest macro for this

danbstrong said:

Thats the exact same sump on my55 its worked great for 3 years now

danbstrong said:

Great! Think I'll go with that then, chaeto is easiest macro for this??? :-/

Finished building my sump and just tested this morning so far so good! It's holding up well

image-519794372.jpg

Jk83lfcn said:
Thanks dan let's just hope it works good too! lol

Like i said i have excact same on my 55 its worked great for 3 years now not sure if i mentioned but i use chaeto with 24/7 light good luck reefing :)

Anyone know what's a good pump to buy for my return from the sump to the tank or are they all pretty much the same?

Back
Top Bottom