New 75 Gallon fully cycled: What to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speedy_Cheese

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 75 gallon tank with two dojo loaches in it. It is now fully cycled, ph about 7.0, no ammonia.

I am planning to get a few live plants to put in it to start out - nothing too crazy as I don't have soil but don't mind adding root tabs.

My plans for plants starting out:

2-3 moss balls
1 amazon sword
2 anacharis floating
1 anubias
1 wisteria

As for my stock I currently just have the two dojos. I was thinking of adding a schooling/shoaling species such as cardinal tetras with rummynose tetras, maybe ten of each. Would it be better for me to just choose between the two and get a bigger number of one species, or is it fine to get both?

I'd also like to add some panda corys (6) and two angelfish. I'd add the angels last as juveniles and give the tetras a chance to grow as I know keeping the two species together can be dicey.

Wondering if anyone has any input about the plant/fish stock choices and if there are any recommendations? Thanks for your time!

To be honest I’m not great at aquarium knowledge and just joined only today but I have been reading this for a long time and have been on many different forums so I hope I can help! First off I don’t recommend putting anglefish with any shy fish or smaller easily bullied fish because angles can be very mean. My friend had one with 5 molies and it killed all of them, so I would recommend not getting those for a community tank. As far as plant choices those all seem fine. I do think you can keep the cardinal tetras with the rummynosed just make sure if they breed your tank won’t be too overstocked.( if they breed within species, not cardinals breeding with rummy,s) I think that the panda Cory’s are wonderful fish even though I have never kept any of my own they seem to be very cute and peaceful along with keeping the algae levels at bay. What this all adds up to is that I would keep 10 cardinal tetras and 10 rummynosed along with maybe 3-6 cory’s depending on how many you want. As an alternative center piece fish you could add a swordtail or something peaceful that looks nice and gets along with everyone. Overall you seem to have a good choice in fish and I wish you the best. Just make sure to do as much research as possible about the different species to be sure you can give them the best care!

A dozen rummynose and a dozen or more cardinals would look nice. Angelfish can be nasty at times, but not necessarily, but I'd skip them and maybe add some other species of tetras - black neons or Buenos Aires, for example. Corys are OK too. Harlequin Rasboras are nice too.
Skip the "centerpiece fish" idea. Virtually all fish are happier in groups of their own. Besides, swordtails can be nasty.

To be honest I’m not great at aquarium knowledge and just joined only today but I have been reading this for a long time and have been on many different forums so I hope I can help! First off I don’t recommend putting anglefish with any shy fish or smaller easily bullied fish because angles can be very mean. My friend had one with 5 molies and it killed all of them, so I would recommend not getting those for a community tank. As far as plant choices those all seem fine. I do think you can keep the cardinal tetras with the rummynosed just make sure if they breed your tank won’t be too overstocked.( if they breed within species, not cardinals breeding with rummy,s) I think that the panda Cory’s are wonderful fish even though I have never kept any of my own they seem to be very cute and peaceful along with keeping the algae levels at bay. What this all adds up to is that I would keep 10 cardinal tetras and 10 rummynosed along with maybe 3-6 cory’s depending on how many you want. As an alternative center piece fish you could add a swordtail or something peaceful that looks nice and gets along with everyone. Overall you seem to have a good choice in fish and I wish you the best. Just make sure to do as much research as possible about the different species to be sure you can give them the best care!

Thank for your chiming in and offering up the info you've gathered during your time researching! I appreciate it. :) I am so excited to have the size of a tank I have always wanted. One of my two dojos is 15 years old! We recently moved into our new home so I've been able to upgrade my tank size. This is the biggest tank he has ever been in and he is so incredibly active in it. Lots of plants and spots to hide, plus sand on the bottom so they can bury. I got him a new companion as the other buddy of my Methuseloach passed at 14.

I'm excited to have a new tank to stock now that it's established! :) Thanks for the advice on the angelfish, I have heard that about them. I'd like all the fish in the tank to be happy so perhaps I will forego a species with that bullying tendency. Perhaps a pair of German Rams instead? I have heard they are quite docile for cichlids aside from breeding.

I'll be getting my plants and some rummynose today to add to the tank! I'm stoked. I will take my time and add each species slowly with enough space between additions for them to be comfortable before adding more. I also have a little quarantine tank set up just in case. Anyway thank you very much for your advice, I appreciate it!

A dozen rummynose and a dozen or more cardinals would look nice. Angelfish can be nasty at times, but not necessarily, but I'd skip them and maybe add some other species of tetras - black neons or Buenos Aires, for example. Corys are OK too. Harlequin Rasboras are nice too.
Skip the "centerpiece fish" idea. Virtually all fish are happier in groups of their own. Besides, swordtails can be nasty.

Thanks very much for your advice, I appreciate the input! What are your thoughts on German Rams? I was considering a pair of those alternatively to the angelfish. But I do love the idea of a nice school as well! :) I may even just slightly increase the numbers of rummynose or cardinals instead. I will also have to do some investigating on the tetra species you recommended and learn some more about them. Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom