New 75G Freshwater Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtm6813

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys,

I am getting back into the hobby after about a decade long break. I used to keep much larger tanks and more aggressive fish, however, I am expecting a little girl soon and I thought having a nice community tank would be something to possibly get her into the hobby down the road. I have been cycling the tank for a little over a week. My main stocking ideas revolve around a nice schooling fish with centerpiece Angels.

My plan was to get 5-8 angels (hopefully get a pair to breed much later on). I also wanted to include a nice schooling fish maybe cardinal or neon tetras. I was doing some research and saw they might not be the best as they are a bit smaller and large angels could potentially eat them. I was talking to the guy at the pet shop and he recommended tiger barbs.

I did a quick google search to read up on them before I made any decisions and I noticed they can be aggressive if not kept in large schools and will nip the angels fins. I addressed my concern and he assured me that in a large enough school the aggression will be in check. So I purchased 10 of them (after ensuring water parameters were ready to go). I guess my main concern is that they will, in fact, harass angelfish and those are the goal species I Want to keep. I was thinking about buying maybe 6 more to increase their school size in hopes it will deter any aggression.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has done this specifically with these numbers and this tank size? More specifically if there was success keeping these two together. I would never want to jeopardize anything intentionally. Thanks guys! (sorry for long post)

You don't mention what size your tank is , but for a school of angels, 40 gallons would be a minimum. Angels get big. I would not put tiger barbs with angels. Regardless of the school size, tiger barbs just annoy other fish and often nip. I'd go with bigger size tetras.

Back
Top Bottom