new 80 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, fish-in cycles are tricky... which is why most people advocate against them, aside from the potential for fish loss....

As long as you are prepared to act quickly on water changes as needed and use Prime, you should be able to gut it out. Just check the water twice a day (given your stock level) and change water as ammonia and/or nitrite gets any higher than .25. It will take a little longer to cycle than a fishless since you cannot get crazy with ammonia but you will get there. I have done fish-in cycles three times and it can be done.

I would also recommend getting some used filter media from another aquarist or from a good LFS.... make sure it is from a healthy established aquarium and add it to your filter.

Deep breaths.... you're fine.

thanks buddy, unfortunately i dont know a single person with an aquarium so i kinda have to grind by myself[emoji52], but i can only learn from here

Some stores are willing to part with their used filter media to help you out with the process, so you could try there.

Some stores are willing to part with their used filter media to help you out with the process, so you could try there.

thanks! and honestly straight up should i do gravel while cycling or just water?

Most of your bacteria initially forms in filter media. After a longer period of time some will form on all surfaces of tank. Most will always be in the filter. Just keep excess food cleaned up.. Feed lightly.
Fish have tiny stomachs, can go several days to a week without food.

Most of your bacteria initially forms in filter media. After a longer period of time some will form on all surfaces of tank. Most will always be in the filter. Just keep excess food cleaned up.. Feed lightly.
Fish have tiny stomachs, can go several days to a week without food.

and should i not clean my filter pads till the cycle is complete?

Can clean big debris off by swishing them in the dirty water after a water change, but never clean them with tap water. Even after the cycle just swish in dirty water before you toss it, don't change the pads until they literally fall apart.

Can clean big debris off by swishing them in the dirty water after a water change, but never clean them with tap water. Even after the cycle just swish in dirty water before you toss it, don't change the pads until they literally fall apart.

sounds good thanks!

and how often during the cycle should i change and siphon the tank? more often?

Definitely any time the ammonia gets above .25 ppm.

I'm not sure I would do a deep gravel vacuum during cycling either, as your bacteria are setting up home there also. I would just skim the surface of the gravel during the cycling and do a deep vacuum after cycling is complete.

Definitely any time the ammonia gets above .25 ppm.

I'm not sure I would do a deep gravel vacuum during cycling either, as your bacteria are setting up home there also. I would just skim the surface of the gravel during the cycling and do a deep vacuum after cycling is complete.

my ammonia is at .25 right now, should i do a change or leave it? my fish seem pretty calm

Dose with prime each day, will detoxify ammonia but you need the ammonia to start the bacteria. If the ammonia gets above 0.25-0.5 do a water change.

Dose with prime each day, will detoxify ammonia but you need the ammonia to start the bacteria. If the ammonia gets above 0.25-0.5 do a water change.

okay thanks[emoji16]

does api tap water conditioner remove ammonia?

Just stick with Prime... don't get fancy.... Prime is one stop shopping... it does all the conditioning you need.

okay, should i dose everyday or only every water change?

Since you have fish, if the ammonia gets above .25, I would do a partial water change, about 25%. You would add Prime to dechlorinate the water, so additional dosing would not be necessary. If you test and get a higher than .25 reading on ammonia or nitrate, dose then, but don't dose without reason.

Since you have fish, if the ammonia gets above .25, I would do a partial water change, about 25%. You would add Prime to dechlorinate the water, so additional dosing would not be necessary. If you test and get a higher than .25 reading on ammonia or nitrate, dose then, but don't dose without reason.

alright thanks!

It's best to do a partial water change if you have elevated ammonia and/or nitrites rather than just dosing Prime, but it will help you in a pinch.

What are your readings?

It's best to do a partial water change if you have elevated ammonia and/or nitrites rather than just dosing Prime, but it will help you in a pinch.
What are your readings?

im getting my nitrite kit tomorrow but my ammonia readings at .25

im getting my nitrite kit tomorrow but my ammonia readings at .25

Okay.... Do you have a kit coming to test nitrates? That will indicate that the nitrite is being processed.

Back
Top Bottom