new ADFs in QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazymom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I bought a 10 gal QT tank and put one of my hobs from my 55 gal on it with nothing else at all inside. Added 4 ADFs. Do I need to put some substrate or rocks in for them? I would rather not if I don't have to. How long should I keep them in there to observe and is ich easy to spot on frogs? Anything else I should look for? Thanks a lot, this is our first time with the ADFs so any advice about them is appreciated!

That might bring about ALOT of current on the 10 gal tank. You may want to give them something in the tank. You don't have to deck it all out with decor, but maybe a fake plant or a rock. Just to kind of give them something. I always get the impression that my fish are bored. :D I'd QT for about a week or two.

Thanks, yeah I noticed they kind on drift around and probably don't like it too well. I think I will put a big rock in there to hide around. Not sure what to look for? If they are sick will it be obvious?

Ive only had 2 of them before and they just weren't my style so I never really researched them before. There are plenty of people who have had actual experience with them. Hopefully they will chime in. TonyStarks has several of them, you could try PMing him.

I've read that frogs can not get ich because ich can only live off of a fish host or something like that. :?

I have 3 adf's, i think they are very interesting to watch. You will notice that they will float at the top of the water from time to time... they arn't dead they are just being lazy. I feed mine frozen brine shrimp and freeze dried bloodworms... i just melt a chunk of brine shrimp into a container and dump it in. My fish also eat them but my frogs scavenge the tank for their dinner. I would atleast make something in the tank for them to hide in or behind ( like a shelter or rock pile or plants) and make sure they dont have anything in there way to go up and get air. They are mostly blind so they will sometimes bite each other and other objects in the tank and run into things but as far as i can tell it doesnt hurt them.

I think of them as being hardy because all 3 have survived a cycle, a ich treatment, and i have a little salt in my tank.So good luck

ADF seem to love PVC caves. There have been many threads here showing how to make them look nice with substrate and silicone.

RoK said:
I've read that frogs can not get ich because ich can only live off of a fish host or something like that. :?

Correct...Ich is a fish-only parasite. The only things to watch your new ADFs for are bacterial/fungal infections (should be quickly obvious) and bloat (likewise will show pretty quickly).

Back
Top Bottom