New Aquarium - Fish/Plant list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaden

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am putting together the fish list for my 36 gallon aquarium. The tank is 30 long and 22 high. The bottom is gravel, 3-5mm, and laced with laterite for the plants. For filtration I am using a Fluval 303 filter (306 gph). It will be lighted by a Fluval Aqualife and Plant LED. (I am waiting on the stand to be stained – hopefully by this Wednesday.)

Here is my pick of fish with the quantity of each. My research shows they can all peacefully cohabitate, but I may have missed something. (It has been 30 years since I last did this.) Comments on the selections and quantities are appreciated.

German Gold Ram – 2
Boesemani Rainbow – 2
Neon Tetra – 6
Red Phantom Tetra – 4
Red Cherry Shrimp - 4
False Julii Corydora - 3

Oh yes, I have not completely worked out the plants yet. I was thinking Amazon Sword, Java Fern, Java Moss and Wisteria.

:popcorn:

I would up the corys to 5 or 6 as they feel more secure in groups. Usually tetras are in groups of 6 or more also.
Have you thought about anubias? They come is various types some green some with a golden green hue and in different sizes. They are a nice plant to fill in spaces. Good Luck with your new tank!

A good fish for that tank is a up side down catfish they only get 4" and mine is very hardy and does fine with gravel but i feed him algae wafers and he was eating some algae he was fat!

The boesmani rainbows definitely need a longer tank as well as a bigger group. I would suggest switching to praecox rainbows and going with at least 5 of them. I picked praecox over boesmani in my 55g and am perfectly happy. It let me have a school of 10 of them rather than the small number of boesmani my tank could fit.

Adding 1 or 2 more Cory cats wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Back
Top Bottom