New Aquarium PH and low hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sasan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi There,
I setup a new aquarium 10 days ago and still have no fish there its a 60 G tank with Aqu-clear Power filter,
I like to keep a variety of guppy and molly and some low light plants.

I got a water tester and got following result first day after setup the tank:
(I have been told that water hardness is very low in my area)
Ph : 5.5
Hardness: 0-25 very low
Alkalinity: very low

I ask Pet-smart and they told me to add some aquarium salt, I added 1 Table Spoon for each 10 G (They told me to add 1 for each 5 Gal)

Now after a week I get the following result:
Ph : 7:00
Hardness: 0-25 very low
Alkalinity: 200 (Middle)

It seams the salt make the PH and Alkalinity higher but didn't help on Hardness,
Any suggestions? Do I need to be worry about Hardness?

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know how to lower hardness. What kind of substrate do you have? Quite often different types of rock will throw of ph, so maybe it happens to hardness too.
Good luck, and :welcome: to aquarium advice!

I would't worry about it too much. My GH is 3 and my KH is 2. A PH of 5.5 could be an issue though. Can you test your tap water PH out of the tap and then leave a glass of tap water out for 24 hours (stir it ocassionally) and then test PH and report both numbers here? Sometimes the PH out of the tap can change after it gasses off. I'm just trying to figure out whether 5.5. is your normal PH or if something in the tank is lowering it.

If it really is that low, to raise it you can add some crushed coral or crushed argonite (sold at most fish stores in the saltwater section). Add a few teaspoons to a mesh media bag or clean (never washed with detergent) nylon stocking and put it in your filter (if there's room) or put it near the filter intake. Keep testing PH and add/remove coral as needed until you can get the Ph to around 7.

For some reason the chain stores like to push using aquarium salt. It isn't generally needed in freshwater tanks unless you're treating for disease and once you get fish you won't want that much salt in there anyway.

Also how are you cycling the tank? Letting it run empty doesn't cycle it I'm afraid (regardless of what the fish store may tell you). This thread will help: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thanks a lot for quick replay, I would test the tab water they way that you explain and test the tank water in a few days and let you know. I would also go through the thread that you mentioned,
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom