New Aquarium - Transfering Old To New

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys

I'm currently running a 29 gallon tank with:
4 platies
4 zebra danios
5 neon tetras
3 headlight/taillight tetras
1 pleco

I'm going to buy a 55 gallon very soon and have a question about the tank. The tank has been up for about a year but has had the substrate changed out about 3 weeks ago.

For the 55 I'll be taking the substrate and decorations... I'm not sure about the filter. I have a new filter put away but I'm not sure if I should put it in the 55 or put it in the 29 gallon.

I will be moving everything in my 10 gallon to the 29 gallon.. new substrate will be added to the 29 since there isn't enough in the 10 gallon tank to cover the 29.

What should I do in my situation to best control any re-cycling of the 29 and make the process of cycling the 55 simple as can be?

So again... everything in 29 going to the 55. Fish from 10 and little substrate going to 29.

Thanks In Advance

well you have to make sure that your filter can handle the 55 gallon tank

to help the cycle of your tank i would use a lot of the same water from your 29 and 10 as it will help the cycle process, the substrate will help, maybe mix the old with the new in the 29 if possible
maybe get a bin to store some of the water change water for now and use the filter you have put away to start up building its bacteria growth

im no professional but from what ive learned this seems one logical way you could do it, maybe a bit messy tho, so im sure there is prolly a better way, just my opinion:)

If I were you I would set up the 55 gal, take the filtration unit from the 29 and put it on the 55 along with the filtration unit that you have for the 55. Change over as much as possible to preserve bacteria. Then take the water from the 29 and put it into the 55. Do this when you would normally do a pwc so you can preserve as much bacteria. With the 29 gal, move the 10 gal's water into the 29 (again at the pwc time) and try to move over as much as you can. If you don't want to use the same substrate, put the substrate that you have in the 10 gal in a bag and put it into the 29 gal for about a week. Put the filtration unit that you have on the 10 on the back of the 29 gal to keep the bacteria going. It'll be a long process, but you could always just start cycling the 55. It would probably be easier to do it that way.

I recently did a transfer much like yours. I'm no expert, but I got some great advice from Tank Girl. So here it is (in case she doesn't happen to see this).

From what I understand, the bacteria for the bio-filter rests on objects in the aquarium and not really the water itself. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tank Girl told me to use my existing filter in the new tank, as well as the new filter, and use some old gravel and decorations, at least for a good while during the first weeks. And voila! Insta-cycle! I've been testing daily and No ammo, No nitrites, Few Nitrates. It worked beautifully, and I upgraded to a 55 from a 10, so it should work for you.

You're correct SpaceButler. From what I have heard the objects have the bacteria. But it is also good to use the same water when moving over.

Back
Top Bottom