New aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bowens101 I kept goldfish in a 20 gallon tank they died. I changed the water twice a week had 2 tetra 40g hob filters and they didn't survive. As its been stated goldfish are among the dirtiest fish because they produce a huge huge bio load so unless you plan on running a canister filter which would be overkill on a 20g tank the tank will not stay clean. A larger body of water will allow the bio load to be spread out. I keep discus they are not for beginners and I also have a stingray in my tank. My tank is super overstocked and I have to maintain it by cleaning the tank every other day 50 to 75 percent water changes. I also have a 30 gallon sump which is a giant filter that holds a mass amount of water. My sump is bigger than your tank and my tank is 100g I'm looking for a 200 or 300g tank since I added the stingray. We are not giving you bad advice or trying to anger you we are trying to tell you what is best for your situation. Depending on the size of your pond you can always make or rope/fence off the area so the larger ones cannot get to the gold fish. They will be fine. I promise you they will be so much happier and healthier. If you are Interested in other fish for your 20g there's plenty to choose from albino Cory cats are awesome they are amazing bottom feeders ensuring no uneaten food will decay in your tank. You could get all sorts of tetras which are colorful and nice to look at. Also the light fixture you have brings out colors as well as the flake food you feed them. Take our advice I've been keeping discus for 3 years and I've learned so so much about them. They are a very hard fish to keep but just gorgeous.

What kind of ray and discus do you have in there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Can people stop commenting on this like holly ****! My gold fish are health and seem to be very happy! They have been around for 2 years the last owner told me ! So all you guys need to stop ! I'm gonna fill my fish tank with five small schooling fish and snail ! I just got this ****in aquarium so sorry I'm not gonna pull another 3 bills out of my *** to make my fish happy (from what you guys say) they seem pretty happy to me ! So all of you really need reality check ! Cause I think giving my fish away or putting them in a pond ! Cause I think that giving my fish who have lived in the same tank for two years to a random or put them outside would be cruel ! You guys are missing the whole picture here ! Your not helping me I'm annoyed with all negative comments ! Like my first and last time I'm using this thank you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's an atlantic stingray. They say they are salt only. I was born and raised in Jacksonville FL always caught these guys in the river. Studies have shown there is a freshwater only population that do not return to the ocean. My ray has been in the tank over a month he has been doing great very very active. I am not familiar with strains I know I have a snakeskin red turquoise snow white red melon yellow faced idk if they're blue turquoise or what kinda sounds like an oxymoron haha. Umm also have some newer pigeon blood juvies I picked up from my LFS. Here are a few pics. Also have a fire eel. Many people on discus forums advise against keeping him. I add a slight amount of freshwater aquarium salt when I change the water. The box treats 100 gallons and I usually put in about 1/8th of it just to slightly raise the salinity for the ray and it hasn't harmed my discus at all. Also have two clown loaches. Here are some pics! The "internet" fish didn't grow to full size but the ones from my store grew great pushing close to 7 inches a few of them. Sorry I can't post them right now. I have been trying for 30 minutes the new tap talk app is super buggy. I will try later. I have pictures of them in the simply discus forums.

Cool your tailfeathers, no one is trying to attack you.

Just make sure you do frequent water changes for them, as their waste accumulates quickly and can hurt them, and they should be okay for now.

How the hell do you delete this?

Let's be ****in realistic would I even be alive if my fish got that big !

I don't think it's cleaned up yet.

It got out of hand and after posting this I'm not commenting in it anymore.

I just hope the original poster will do frequent water changes for their goldfish in that tank.

Only thing that got cleaned up was my picture of my tank. Guess because it doesn't relate to the topic. It won't let me post anymore either. Sorry guys. Just says waiting for response at 100% I even resized them and made them much smaller... [emoji53]

Woah....hey guys. Gathering from this thread, we be knocking but nobodys home....if you catch my drift.

Yes patty I was 18 once and only 24 now there was a whole lot of growing up then. I take advice from people on simply all the time they are experts on discus and I'm sure this forum is full of experienced people in the aquarium hobby. I always try to not learn the hard way. I wish the poster the best of luck though. I just feel like there are so many cool fish out there. I've had to bury two discus from fighting before. It was very sad. I never kept a group below 6 after that. Two "paired up" and I guess were in the mood to spawn I had no experience on the fish back then I just bought them and after the accident I started to read forums. I added 5 or 6 can't remember and the aggression spread out and all was well. These forums exist for a reason! I mean how awesome is it to go on the internet and get great advice from experienced people in the hobby who have been there done that!

My fish would be dead if it wasn't for this forum. Life saver! Sometimes we don't like hearing the truth. I'm 34 and still don't. I remember 18. I KNEW what I was doing "finger snap" hehe....

I completely agree patty! I learn something new all the time.

My fish would be dead if it wasn't for this forum. Life saver! Sometimes we don't like hearing the truth. I'm 34 and still don't. I remember 18. I KNEW what I was doing "finger snap" hehe....

I feel the same way! I'm lucky I found this forum before I got my aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom