New aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there a filter that will help them out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could add a smaller pond for them to grow, so they will be as big as the koi. Then you could move them?

Sorry I'm not made out of money ! Since I'm only 18. And big als said it's perfectly normal to have fish is that size of aquarium they also said that the only reason people get huge aquariums for them to have them keep growing for showing off ! Like you guys have to see that not everyone on here has the opportunity to get huge tanks etc ! And I'm a big animal lover and having you guys say I'm being cruel ! Makes me upset!

It's not your fault you were given bad advice. Goldfish are supposed to keep growing and growing and live a really long time, not die after a few years like so many people assume. If they stop growing, it means something's wrong. Your goldfish will be fine in the pond as long as they're big enough that they won't fit in the koi's mouths. If they're not big enough yet, and you start changing a lot of water, ideally every day, they might start growing again so you can eventually move them to the pond. I'm not sure. Someone with more knowledge of goldfish can chime in.

See that's helping me out ! Thank you

Hey Vance, It actually can happen with fish, I have seen it in some of my tanks with guppies. Back when I was a beginner and my 10 gallon tank was overstocked, the new fry would always stay a good half inch away from the full grown size of the adults, and when some of the fish would die, they would start growing again

You don't mean to be cruel, and I'm not saying you're a cruel person. Im sure you're a kind person. You mean well. And thank goodness you don't have them in bowls!

It is cruel though. Goldfish can live 20-30 years and they should. They only grow to the size of the tank because their outsides stop but their insides do not. It's excruciating pain and needless suffering. So many people don't realize or know this. Including the place you asked about this issue. It's a huge, sad tragedy. Please do whatever you're able to do so these fish can live the lives they deserve :)

Big ponds and aquariums are not show offs for koi and goldfish. It's a necessity.

It's not your fault you were given bad advice. Goldfish are supposed to keep growing and growing and live a really long time, not die after a few years like so many people assume. If they stop growing, it means something's wrong. Your goldfish will be fine in the pond as long as they're big enough that they won't fit in the koi's mouths. If they're not big enough yet, and you start changing a lot of water, ideally every day, they might start growing again so you can eventually move them to the pond. I'm not sure. Someone with more knowledge of goldfish can chime in.

:)
Well said!

They only grow to the size of the tank because their outsides stop but their insides do not.

I'm not sure this is quite accurate. Deformities can occur with ill health and stunted growth, which is probably where the idea that the insides keep growing comes from. Also, as vance already mentioned, fish can still grow to a large size in a small tank, it just requires good water conditions. It's not the size of the tank that causes stunting, that's also a myth. Stunted growth is due to poor water conditions, which is pretty much inevitable when you put goldfish in small tanks unless you're constantly changing water.

But it does happen. I've read about it and a really knowledgable friend of mine told me about it. Maybe it doesn't happen to all fish but. Goldfish definitely and probably koi. It can happen to plecos too.

Why risk it?? They need ample space anyway. The fish can't talk or really show that they're in pain unless its obvious and by then it may be too late.

Like a baby or a kitten or puppy or any pet really, fish are completely dependent on us for their well being.

Not only that, we as humans have taken them out of their natural environments to be in our homes. We have to recreate an ecosystem for them so they can live and thrive. It's our responsibility as pet owners to take the best care possible we can of our fish.

I care about my fish as much as I care about the dog and cats we have. They depend on us for care.

We owe that to the creatures we have :)

Right, I'm not saying stunted growth doesn't happen, I'm just saying it's more accurate to say it occurs because of poor water conditions, not solely because of the size of the tank. In other words, saying that fish grow to the size of the tank isn't accurate, because the tank size is not what causes stunted growth. However, I agree that fish do need ample space, and we shouldn't stress our fish by putting them in a tank that's too small.

Yeah, I mean we aren't saying the OP is cruel, we are trying to help you, but sadly the advice we have for you is gonna cost you a good sum of cash. And how big are the koi?

Hi Bowens, it's great that your so excited, but if you can find a local pond at a park or somewhere, the fish would really appreciate it, I took my grandsons to our local pond, and we go every month to feed them, they can stand the cold as they are not tropical, then you could get some smaller tropical fish, you would love, just ask some questions on here first before you decide.........

Hi Bowens, it's great that your so excited, but if you can find a local pond at a park or somewhere, the fish would really appreciate it, I took my grandsons to our local pond, and we go every month to feed them, they can stand the cold as they are not tropical, then you could get some smaller tropical fish, you would love, just ask some questions on here first before you decide.........

Apparently you're not aware that your advice is not only unethical but it's also ILLEGAL to release fish into the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Really tree, then why is there hundreds of goldfish in my pond at the park, this is the UK, also I do not appreciate being spoken to in that manor............

Were there goldfish in the pond before you released your goldfish in there?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

As I said above there is hundreds in our pond, and it is very well looked after........

But were they there before you released yours? That is the question sir.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The pond has been there for at least 10 years, I am saying hundreds, it could well be thousands, it's a green flag park, the gold fish will love the space..........

Back
Top Bottom