New aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am on the brink of leaving this fabulous site, I can't believe treemanone could actually think I would give bad advice...........

I have gone through and cleaned this thread up. All posts were deleted that were not related to the OP's original question.

Please read this from the Community rules:

The owners of Aquarium Advice adhere to basic standards of ethical fishkeeping. We believe that freshwater and saltwater aquarists are directly responsible for the health and well being of any aquatic animals in their care, be they fish or invertebrate. These responsibilities include providing a healthy aquatic environment, humane treatment, humane euthanasia (when required), as well as obtaining and disposing of aquatic animals in such a way that does not damage sensitive local ecosystems. Posts advocating the illegal collection of fish or invertebrates, inhumane treatment, flushing live animals down the toilet, or releasing them into the wild will be removed.

Read this paragraph

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Really tree, then why is there hundreds of goldfish in my pond at the park, this is the UK, also I do not appreciate being spoken to in that manor............

I can't answer why they're there. I don't think I spoke to you in any *manner. Just stated a fact.

Ok I will say good bye, the rules are very different in the uk, we do what's best for our fish..........it's your loss

I'm not sure this is quite accurate. Deformities can occur with ill health and stunted growth, which is probably where the idea that the insides keep growing comes from. Also, as vance already mentioned, fish can still grow to a large size in a small tank, it just requires good water conditions. It's not the size of the tank that causes stunting, that's also a myth. Stunted growth is due to poor water conditions, which is pretty much inevitable when you put goldfish in small tanks unless you're constantly changing water.

Well I guess it is up in the air about that, but, I still believe they need as much space as possible, certainly nothing smaller than 20g for a single goldfish and most definitely not a bowl! I hate fishbowls, including for bettas.

And definitely they need frequent water changes, esp if in a smaller tank due to poor advice.

I meant to reply to your last reply to me, not the above quote, but, yeah. :)

Sorry I'm not made out of money ! Since I'm only 18. And big als said it's perfectly normal to have fish is that size of aquarium they also said that the only reason people get huge aquariums for them to have them keep growing for showing off ! Like you guys have to see that not everyone on here has the opportunity to get huge tanks etc ! And I'm a big animal lover and having you guys say I'm being cruel ! Makes me upset!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Slow down a bit young Jedi. Hopefully this will clear a few things up. You got some bad advice from someone and that happens. You will find over time, that you will have more "good" knowledge than the next person with "bad" knowledge, should you choose to stick around with open ears and hear what experienced folks have gone through in the past.
Rule #1 Most, er ALL stores are out to make a profit. Any way possible.
Rule #2 Research is your best friend. There are many different options when it comes to looking in the right place, and the first answer is not always the best. I know you said that you did some reading, but even the worst of sites offering advice on goldfish say a minimum of 20g for the FIRST fish and then 10g for each ADDITIONAL fish.

The folks that gave the advice about buying bigger tanks for "growing and showing off" are both right and wrong to one degree or another. A quick little history about me. My last purchase was a 33 that you'd find in a "Petco" type store. Got it for $20. My largest tank I got for FREE because I was in the right place at the right time. It's a 265g and takes 6 big guys to move it. My advice to you, and some others may very well agree is to keep an eye on Craigslist. Many a deal have been found there. Some good, some bad. I believe there's a few threads on here about it. Also while you're here, check out the classifieds. Classifieds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community Something may come up that's close to you.

Rule #3 Whatever happens, don't let it get to you. Just ride the wave. That's what I do !!!!

Bowens, we aren't trying to call you cruel or anything, we are just trying to help you out, that's the only reason why we are trying to tell you this advice

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yup, always question the pet store advice. Once a Petco employee told me I could put two fancy goldfish in a 1.5 gallon tank. :(

I know. Thank goodness I didn't listen to him!

I know. Thank goodness I didn't listen to him!

Thank goodness! This guy was going to sell us 3 pygmy cory catfish and a snail to put into a 1.5g with our betta (actually its a 2 but it holds about 1 3/4 and only 1g of usable space really). We didn't know better at the time but we didn't do it... I checked with my friend who was helping me a lot and she was like NO!!!

She helped me learn a lot, and I am learning a lot here too, and by researching online as well.

Thank goodness I checked with her before we got a bunch of fish and we had no knowledge of the nitrogen cycle or anything!

Bowens101 I kept goldfish in a 20 gallon tank they died. I changed the water twice a week had 2 tetra 40g hob filters and they didn't survive. As its been stated goldfish are among the dirtiest fish because they produce a huge huge bio load so unless you plan on running a canister filter which would be overkill on a 20g tank the tank will not stay clean. A larger body of water will allow the bio load to be spread out. I keep discus they are not for beginners and I also have a stingray in my tank. My tank is super overstocked and I have to maintain it by cleaning the tank every other day 50 to 75 percent water changes. I also have a 30 gallon sump which is a giant filter that holds a mass amount of water. My sump is bigger than your tank and my tank is 100g I'm looking for a 200 or 300g tank since I added the stingray. We are not giving you bad advice or trying to anger you we are trying to tell you what is best for your situation. Depending on the size of your pond you can always make or rope/fence off the area so the larger ones cannot get to the gold fish. They will be fine. I promise you they will be so much happier and healthier. If you are Interested in other fish for your 20g there's plenty to choose from albino Cory cats are awesome they are amazing bottom feeders ensuring no uneaten food will decay in your tank. You could get all sorts of tetras which are colorful and nice to look at. Also the light fixture you have brings out colors as well as the flake food you feed them. Take our advice I've been keeping discus for 3 years and I've learned so so much about them. They are a very hard fish to keep but just gorgeous.

Bowens101 don't know if you're still following this thread or not but if you would like to still keep those fish petco is having a sale on tanks 1$ per gallon for up to 55 gallon tanks. Called yesterday and it starts Sunday I believe. *Sigh* really wanted to get a 200 or 300 gallon tank...

Back
Top Bottom