New at Salt Tank Protein Skimmer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have lots of good experience keeping freshwater planted tanks (I have 7 ranging from 20-120 gallons). I am gathering up to start my first small nano reef tank (a 20 gallon hex with custom glass lid and Aquaillumination Prime clip on light fixture). I got a barely used Aquamaxx HOB 1 Protein Skimmer for the tank (in like new condition). From what I understand this skimmer acts at the filter all in one. Seeing I am new to reef and salt, what about running any chemical media if ever needed in the tank (such as Chemi-pure etc)? I don't think this skimmer allows for chemical media, but perhaps I won't need it? Or should I ever need it add a small aquaclear filter also?

Sorry for my ignorance on the salt side! Would really love feedback on how all this works.

You don't know what possible media you would need to run on the system until you know what is going on in your system. Skimmers aren't used to run media through, they are simply to remove proteins from the system before they can break down in the nitrate cycle. When it comes to running filter material, you can do it through filters like you mentioned but it is more efficient using canister filters.

Ok, I guess then to simplify my question, with this skimmer that is all the "filtration" I will need on this tank regularly and in the event I felt I ever needed some kind of chemical filtration (for whatever reason), then I could, even if temporarily add a simple HOB or something. It's not a very big tank and sits on a open stand so I don't want a canister in this case. I guess I was just curious about chemical media when running a skimmer as your only filter.

Back
Top Bottom