New betta tank set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melika2928

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting a new tank for my betta tomorrow. It's 30 gallons (longer than tall) and was hoping to place my two female and male betta together. Currently they are all in smaller 1/2 gallon tanks. My male seems very mellow compared to the others I have so i am hoping he will get along with my females. I have read that two females together may not be a good thing. Should I get a few more to help balance things out, or will the male be enough? How should I introduce them to the same tank? I have never put together a community tank with bettas before so any recommendations would be appreciated.

You should never put a male with females. The result will practically always either be death of one sex or hundreds of fry. More than likely the death part.

What you can/should do is make/buy a divider and section off a part for your male to hang out in. Then if you are set on keeping multiple females together, get at minimum 3 more to add to the group. This will help keep the aggression spread out between all of them. You'll also want to heavily decorate the female part with tall plants (fake or live) to break up the line of sight, and add a few caves so they can get away from each other if aggression gets to be too much.

When adding everyone, add them all at the same time. That way they only have to figure out their pecking order once.
When adding new females, you'll want to pull all the old girls and rearrange the tank a little, then add all of them at the same time again.

Hope this helps

I agree with the above; don't add a male with females. If you use a divider, be sure they can't see each other and that there wouldn't be a way for the male to jump into the female area. Just two females alone may fight, so if you wanted to try a sorority you'd need to add a few more females.

Back
Top Bottom