New Black Moor won't eat or compete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClaireBear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 10-year-old daughter and I just set up a new 10-gal. tank for our 1 1/2-year-old Fantail (Lucky) and we decided to add a companion for him - a Black Moor named Charm.

The tank is cycled and it's only been a few days since we got Charm. The problem is that Charm will not compete for fish food and so he's not getting fed. He just hangs out around the bottom and the tank and when I feed them he doesn't make any effort to get food. In the meantime Lucky speeds around the tank eating all the food.

The Black Moor looks healthy, but just is seemingly disinterested in eating. Should I give him a few more days for him to get more aggressive and start eating or should I just return him now to the pet store? I don't want him to die from starvation.

Any ideas?

If your water parameters are good, then I would wait a few more days. I don't think fish will starve themselves. Your acclimation method might have put him into a bit of shock. The method of putting the bag in the tank for 15 minutes and then dumping him in? Its actually not very good for fish. Your parameters could be completely safe but your ph could be different from what the fish is used to. Also many fish stores use chemicals which lowers the hardiness and adaptability of a fish. If it is acclimation shock just wait a few days and it will either die or adapt and be fine.

Back
Top Bottom