New Bumble Bee Gobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got some new Bumble Bee gobies for my puffer tank. These guys are really cute and REALLY small. They have the funniest little grumpy faces. They have adapted well to frozen foods, blood worms and baby brine shrimp that I have been feeding them. I had to set up the filter current to move water around more so the frozen food moves and catches their interest. Basically, if it doesn't move they don't touch it.

They have establish little territories...one likes hanging in the plants with a little cave I built, one prefers a little cave in the front of the tank made of riverstone and the third likes being underneath a piece of driftwood.

They are ridiculously cute tiny fish. Mine are less than an inch each.

Attachments

• bees1.jpg
    bees1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 104
  • bees2.jpg
    bees2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 87
  • bees5.jpg
    bees5.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 84
It will be. It is my first brackish tank though...so I am a bit in the dark. Right now I have the salinity around 1.000 or less (my hydrometer only goes to 1.000). I am working it up to 1.010 for the gobies. I am also transitioning slower due to acclimatizing the plants. Right now I have guppy grass, java ferns, anubia, and wysteria...all of which are said to be brackish water adaptable. All the plants are doing great so far...no browning or anything. I am going to keep it at 1.000 until the puffers get out of quarantine and then bring it to 1.005 and then 1.010.

The Indian puffers are actually completely freshwater but can live in brackish while the gobies are brackish and this species, Brachygobius xanthozona, are adaptable to freshwater. The problem is that by staying in freshwater the gobies lifespan, which is already fairly short ~2 years is shortened. I have not read the same for indian dwarf puffers and brackish water. I am compromising on the water salinity for the sake of the gobies.

Any advice?

Really nice fish, Btw 1.000 is freshwater.

Nah...it's ramping up...freshwater with marine salt at 1.005. I have to transition into brackish for the plants and because the gobies were in freshawater when I got them. I am sticking at 1.005 for now to make sure the plants do okay and the puffers acclimate.

Back
Top Bottom