New Cannister Filter has arrived. Few questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gog77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I ended up buying a Aqua One Canister Filter CF1000. Seems to be running great so far! The instructions supplied were very brief and has very little information on there :(

Just a quick couple of questions. It is my first CF so please forgive me if my questions seems pretty simple.

First off it is far to big for my Tank Frame, I can't fit it underneath. Does the filter have to be standing upright or can it run on it's side. If I can run it sideways it will fit. It just doesn't seem right and I doubt it will or should run that way. It won't be a problem if it can't it sits nicely beside the tank.

How often do you clean the filter and what is the process? Do you take it apart and give it a good scrub? How often should the media be cleaned?

How often do you replace the media? It came with these plastic balls, ceramic noodles and a sponge.

Thanks in advance!

If it is anything like my canister, no, it should not lay sideways. It should stand upright.

I clean the filters about once a month. Basically I just open them up, clean any crummy stuff off the "lid", toss the filter floss and refill, and clean the sponge. I clean the sponge once every 2 months or so in the 55 gal. In the 150 it is done monthly. I just use tap water since the ceramic rings still hold plenty of bacteria.

Fishyfanatic said:
If it is anything like my canister, no, it should not lay sideways. It should stand upright.

Yeah, didn't think it could I just thought I'd ask in case it could. I finalised the setup today and it fit in nicely between the wall and the tank. Would have prefered it fit underneath but it's still good. Had it been any bigger I wouldn't know what to do with it!

Fishyfanatic said:
I clean the filters about once a month. Basically I just open them up, clean any crummy stuff off the "lid", toss the filter floss and refill, and clean the sponge. I clean the sponge once every 2 months or so in the 55 gal. In the 150 it is done monthly. I just use tap water since the ceramic rings still hold plenty of bacteria.

Thanks for the info. What about the ceramic rings. How often should they be replaced?

Never replace the ceramic rings. Unless they start disinigrating in the water, leave them be.

Use good mechanical filtration before the ceramic rings and they will never clog up.

TomK2 said:
Use good mechanical filtration before the ceramic rings and they will never clog up.

Like what?

Right now there are plastic hollow balls in the bottom of the filter, level 2 has the ceramic rings and level 1 has the sponge.

Hello again!

Well what order you have them in is pretty much the way that it comes. It's worked fine for me for a few years. Aslong as you dont wash everything in your filter it should have enough to re-establish itself without any problems.

With three baskets, you could use sponge, filter floss, biomedia. YOu could use your current set up, and see how it goes. dEtermine the direction of flow, have mechanical first, biomedia last, or biomedia right before the impeller. Definitely don't run it on its side. If the canister will fit below the tank, but the hoses don't have room, you can move the tank out from the wall a few inches, then get the canister below the tank and let the hoses ascend behind the tank?

Even though there is bacteria left on the ceramic rings it is Highly suggested that you never clean the sponges in tap water. The best solution is to clean them in the pail of tank water you just took from the tank during water changes. That way you for sure won't have any problems with starting a potential mini cycle. I always figure ... better safe than sorry. :D

I've never had a problem with rinsing the sponge in tap water. There is still bacterial colonies on the substrate, glass, decor, rings, and tubes. Do not do too much cleaning at once though.

Back
Top Bottom