New Community Tank Stocking Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kenobyte

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to eventually stock my 36 gal bowfront. Feel free to make suggestions I'm new to the hobby. I have my wants let me know what you think or if caution should be taken.

5/6 Molly's variety maybe dalmatian, gold/black, maybe emerald sailing Mollies.

3-4 corydoras peppered and maybe emerald/ orange lasers.

Looking for other suggestions for colorful fish was thinking two colorful gouramis or something else. I would like something a little larger or colorful and I'm open to suggestions so I can research. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I am running a fluval 307 so I think I should be filtered very well.

One issue with mixing cory and molly is that molly really prefer hard water and cory do better in soft water. I'd get your water tested (assuming you are using tap water) and make a stocking decision based on the type of water you have.

I have have treated water since I'm in a relatively urban city. Definitely not the types that you need a softner in house. I have read the mollies prefer and are healthiest in brackish harder water but is this true for the "modern molly" like Petsmart source farm raised mollies because I have read people's arguments both ways. Not debating genuinely asking. I love Cory's and mollies so hoping there may be a middle ground.

It is a fair question about tank bred molly but I can't provide an answer. Many people keep cory with molly. Lets say it is non optimal but that doesn't mean they can't live together. cory will live longer if the water is softer (they can live over 30 years but most in the aquarium have far shorter lives). I would pick a hearty species of cory - and one that does well around 76 degree (avoid panda); and see how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom