New Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, thats about 29 gallons. You could fit 1 pair in there. Got indivual shots for sexing?

well. just got some news that i cant keep my convicts n the 29g forever because my dad wants nicer looking fish because the tank is in the living room. so im going to end up putting them in my 38g and taking the fish from there and puttin them in the 29. then when i eventually want a nicer tank with more fish i'll give them to the pet store and probably get the next step easy chichlids to breed and put them in the 38g. sound good?

Yeah, thats about 29 gallons. You could fit 1 pair in there. Got indivual shots for sexing?
no. not yet. i hope that i can keep a pais of the smaller ones. i hop theres atleast one male and one female of the small ones. ill get pics later but i dont know where batteries are.

Just to add this in here even though we are done dicussing the size of tank, I read this on a website.

The minimum tank size for a pair of Convicts is 30 gallons/114 litres, although they will be more comfortable in a tank of 40 gallons/152 litres or more.

So yes they can be put into a 30G tank as a pair, but happier in a bigger tank.

Anyways we are done discussing this so yeah, lets see those single shots so we can get male and female sexed.

No tank mates for convicts? Huh, I kept a polypterus senegalus with a breeding pair of convicts for years. The polypterus was very good at controlling the population of baby convicts and while he was often chased away I never saw any damage to his armor.

The full grown convicts were much too large for the polypterus to swallow (though I had seen the polypterus grab one [of the convicts] by the fin and toss it aside as they were both going for the same food pellet).

First off, Jack Dempsy's are not nice fish, note their name sake, the famous early 1900's boxer Jack Dempsy. Second, they get huge. No wayy you can put that guy in a 29, or 38. Pleco's, will get beaten up. I assume your talking about the common one, correct?( the little tiny one's in the tanks that sellf or 4 dollars apiece). They get over a foot long, minnimum tank size, 55 gallons, plus they produce alot of waste.

I don't see anything wrong with a pair in a 29 gallon tank ( thats what i have, well now they are in a 20g). They do need alot of rock's and caves though to establish territory, or there will be fights.

yep 55 minimum for a single JD. You could get a pleco but be warned common pleco gets much too large for a 29. Check out the BN's.

Breeding convicts have been known to damage Pleco's armor and then eventually kill them or the plecos die of stress. I don't suggest any tank mates, especially for a 29G. If you have algae problems, just do some work and whip it off, or use a mag float.

Nope, they will dig them out. Plastic plants are the best option.

No tank mates for convicts? Huh, I kept a polypterus senegalus with a breeding pair of convicts for years. The polypterus was very good at controlling the population of baby convicts and while he was often chased away I never saw any damage to his armor.

The full grown convicts were much too large for the polypterus to swallow (though I had seen the polypterus grab one [of the convicts] by the fin and toss it aside as they were both going for the same food pellet).

Yeah, not in a 29 g.

I've seen a lot of people with plants in cichlid tanks, just not a lot of plants, maybe 1 or 2 background plants to frame off the tank. In the back corners. They still might end up digging them up but it doesn't take much to just push them back in the substrate, but yeah plastic plants are better, but live are always nice.

ok thanks/ i have some plastic ones so i'll go that route.

ok i offically HATE my mothers camera. all money that i make on fish goes directly to a new camera.

Any suggestions on cameras? preferably under $100. thanks.

Honestly, i hat eto sound so obvious, but the higher the Megapixel's the better. Brands dont amtter that much, obviously shoot for a familiar brand if you can afford it. Mine is a Kodak 8.2 Megapixel that takes decent shots. I got it for christmas, including memory card it was probably 105 dollars.

Honestly, i hat eto sound so obvious, but the higher the Megapixel's the better. Brands dont amtter that much, obviously shoot for a familiar brand if you can afford it. Mine is a Kodak 8.2 Megapixel that takes decent shots. I got it for christmas, including memory card it was probably 105 dollars.

Nah, that is a common misconception. Once you reach a level of megapixels it is all on the size of the CCD and the quality of the optics used.

Back
Top Bottom