New discus Tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomCarter13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there!

I recently went to an aquarium pet shop that sells monster tanks and a large range of fish. they have over 150 tanks on saltwater, coldwater, and tropical fish.
The guy serving me told me about a special they have on an aquarium. The aquarium is a 420 litre (around 110 gallons i think?) and it comes with 2x 300 watt heaters, 2x aqua one canister filters, light hood, and the stand.

i have kept discus in the past but problems kept occurring as i had not much clue on what i was doing and the tank was to small. However, after learning from my previous experience and my other experiences with other fish and aquariums. i now feel i am capable of keeping discus again but i just want to make sure that the aquarium is okay to house 6 discus fish? I think that it is perfect for probably 8 but i just want to make sure.

The aquarium is an Aqua one aquience 1500RT if you would like to look it up :)

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes your tank is fine for 8 discus's. Yours could actually hold about 10. But it's good to stay understocked so 8 should be your max.

Approx 60"x21"x26" for those who don't want to have to look it up.

I think that tank would have no problem with 6 Discus.

How hard is your water there?

You will have to post some pictures once you get it going :)

Thanks for the replies!

I will be getting this tank at christmas time so because of cycling etc i won't be able to upload pics until early feb next year! However cycling could possibly be quicker because i will use all my cycled media that is in my current aquarium and put it in the two new filters so it could boost the cycle. Anyway, the water here is quite neutral. The pH ranges around 7.0 but can sometimes be lower or higher. I am aware that discus do like waters with a pH of around 6.5 but modern day discus are fine with a neutral pH now and if anything i do have some driftwood that i will be putting in the tank to lower the pH :)

So i got the aquarium early 5 weeks ago and have had it cycling. Last friday everything was all clear

pH: 6.4
Am: 0ppm
Tri: 0ppm
Tra: 5ppm

And i left the aquarium still fishless for another few days just to make sure everything was good and i also did a 60% water change on monday :)

Yesterday i had ordered 4 large discus for the aquarium and they arrived today!

They are so healthy and happy! They are not afraid of me, they're eating, and the are always friendly to each other and follow each other around the aquarium :)

The types of discus are:

Large eruption leopard 12cm not including tail.

Large male leopard 13cm not including tail.

Large red golden diamond 12cm not including tail.

Large blue diamond 11cm not including tail.

And here is a pic!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418791945.158306.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418791981.311084.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418792007.972570.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418792190.309327.jpg

The aquarium is
(LxWxH centimetres)
150x60x60

The temp right now is 29-30C

And everything is going great :)

Cool tank, I noticed you have sand in the bottom,is that better for the discus

Not that i know of? I just personally love the way sand looks :)

7.0 is fine, its just a matter of the ph staying the same and not varying. And 6 is no problem. Are you doing any schooling fish along with them?

Back
Top Bottom