New Filter Before Tank Cycles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SanDiegoCa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I'm about 5 weeks into it now, and my tank is still cycling. My question is: For my 30 gal. tank I just upgraded from a Whisper 30 hob filter, to an Emperor 280 w/BioWheel. Have I set back the completion of the cycle by inroducing a new filter? I do expect much better performance from the new filter from everything I read in this forum!!! TIA

Did you remove the Whisper? If so you removed the bacteria that was growing in it. If the media has not dried out yet maybe try moving it into the Emperor somehow.

IMHO The emperor's are nice filters. Does the 280 have a aditional media basket in it? If so you could stick the media pack from the whsiper into it.

*nods and agrees with peterp*

Unfortunately you may have removed the majority of your nitrifying bacteria when you removed the old filter media. Chances are this will prolong your cycle, but as long as you keep the ammonia/nitrite levels down no worries. There are still bacteria living on the surfaces of your tank (walls, substrate, etc), so you won't be starting from scratch.

And I lurve my Emperor 400. Great filter.

Back
Top Bottom