New Filter for an Established Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I did a water change this past weekend and I plugged my filter back in and it almost didn't start. I don't know if it was the filter or the power strip- I have my light, heater, and filter plugged into a power strip and my air pump plugged into the other side of the outlet. Is it possible to put a new filter on an established tank? I have a whisper 20 and if I got a new one I was thinking of an aquaclear filter.

Aces11 said:
I did a water change this past weekend and I plugged my filter back in and it almost didn't start. I don't know if it was the filter or the power strip- I have my light, heater, and filter plugged into a power strip and my air pump plugged into the other side of the outlet. Is it possible to put a new filter on an established tank? I have a whisper 20 and if I got a new one I was thinking of an aquaclear filter.

Yep you can. You just plug in you new filter along with your old one. Leave then both in for a month of so just to get some bacteria on the new filter. Then you can take the old one out.

I'm assuming your looking to replace the old one ... George9's recommendation is one way to do it. The other is take the filter media from the old and stuff it next to the new one. Personally ... if you have them both running for a month... why not.

If the current filter fails before you get a new one just place the filter media from the established filter into the new one (plenty of room to do this with the AquaClears) otherwise i would recommend what George9 said.

Thanks for the replies. Another reason I might look at o new one is because the one I have doesn't have a very strong outflow anymore. If I got a new one I'd probably place the old media in it rather than breaking out the back of my hood to have both filters going at the same time.

Aces11 said:
Thanks for the replies. Another reason I might look at o new one is because the one I have doesn't have a very strong outflow anymore. If I got a new one I'd probably place the old media in it rather than breaking out the back of my hood to have both filters going at the same time.

That's the best way to go if you have no space and media.

What part of the media should I put in the new one? The bio-sponge thing or the actual cartridge? Or could an aquaclear fit both?

The AquaClear will probably be able to fit both. They are great filters with tons of room for a lot of media.

Hi. I've recently upgraded my tank from 60l to around 100l.
I was given the 100l tank with all the equipment, which in this case consisted of two (?) heaters and a Fluval 3plus filter. My old tank was a Koral 60 with original filter, but it started playing on me recently (filter, not tank) so I want to change it for the Fluval one. As for now, I've got both of them in my tank as I read above, and it's so for about two weeks now. I put a new sponges in the Fluval filter (the basic green one and a white-one which is more dense), and gave him a good clean.

Is it better for both of them to work at the same time, or just putting the sponge from the old filter for a while will work, as this is just a plain mechanical media?
Also - my local store running this price cut for an external filters with all the chemical media and other things I have no idea about. Is it worth considering to change the filter for something like that or plain old Fluval 3plus is enough?

You can run them at the same time...the old filter will continue working while the new one seeds. Or you can take the old media, place it in the new filter with the new media, and get rid of the old filter. The new media will seed in time. So in short, either way is fine.

The old media is a bit smaller so I think I could try to fit it into a new filter. Will do that tomorrow while changing the water. Thanks for tip :)

And sorry Aces11 for kind-if hi-jacking your thread ;-)

What about the external filter though - is it worth it to change?

senemedar said:
The old media is a bit smaller so I think I could try to fit it into a new filter. Will do that tomorrow while changing the water. Thanks for tip :)

And sorry Aces11 for kind-if hi-jacking your thread ;-)

What about the external filter though - is it worth it to change?

Oh no problem! You're asking the same questions so why start a new thread.

I might get a new filter for my 20g high pretty soon. I think an AquaClear would be best. But should I get the AquaClear 20 or 30? Which would be best for my tank?

Also, do AquaClear filters come with the media inserts or do I have to buy them individually?

Aquaclear comes with stuff you need and usually have a lil sticker attached to side for rebate up to year u buy the inserts keep all receipts of the filter and inserts and the upc's and they will reimburse u I think it Is valid till end of 2012 too. Also I did a water change turned back on my aquaclear and it wouldn't start I twisted motor portion off bottom wayer comes out of course pulled out propeller thing that was gunked up cleaned it and put it back together and started right back up. Thank god cause I wasn't in the mood to have to buy another one espically after just buying a second one two days prior lol

They do sell other media options but for the three to start u will get sponge charcoal and their ben bac balls to late and lazy to look up what all the stuff is really called but hopefully u get my drift lol
Hope this helps.

And always more filtration the better imo I always double the amount than what it say it's for so 20 gallon tank get at least the 30 if not the 50 if they make it or is it 70? I can't Remb sorry.

Thanks for the info! Do you have to change out the media often in an AquaClear? And will I be able to fit my old media in there as well to get it seeded?

the sponge inserts in an AC last for many years (just wash them in tank water), and the biorings forever. Don't use the carbon; save it for a special occasion such as removing medication. You can add a second sponge insert to replace the carbon.

Ok. Will I be able to fit some of my old media in the AquaClear 30 to get it seeded? Because I don't want to break out the back of my hood to run 2 filters.

I have two aquaclear 50's on my 29 gallon. I wouldn't get anything less thank a 50 for your 20 gallon.

Aces11 said:
Ok. Will I be able to fit some of my old media in the AquaClear 30 to get it seeded? Because I don't want to break out the back of my hood to run 2 filters.

Yeah you will have room. Just leave out the activated carbon. You can always add it back later, but personally I don't use AC at all.

Back
Top Bottom