New Filter Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lengelund

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a 46 gallon bow front with 9 cichlids, 4 inches or less. My current filters are an Emperor 280 that has run nonstop and without issues for ten years and an Aquaclear 50 that is fairly new. My water parameters stay at Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrates 10-20. This is with at least 30% PWC per week. I am considering taking off the Emperor and getting a second Aquaclear. Reasons? Age of the filter and the Aquaclear seems quieter. Should I do this? Can I do it without a mini cycle? I do have bio rings in the plastic cartridge of the Emperor, which could go in the new Aquaclear.

This can work. Take the biorings from the emporer and put it in the new AC. Then check your water parameters every other day for 2-3 weeks until parameters are back to normal.

Good luck

Ok. I ordered the Aquaclear and it should be here Monday. I'm going to move the bio rings from the Emperor to the new filter. I'm also going to try to cut the paper from the biowheel and put the pieces in the mesh media bag with the bio rings. I don't want to lose the bacteria- I think what's on the biowheel has got to be significant.

You could also take the filter cartridge from the bio wheel and put it in you aquaclear for a bit if it will fit in there somehow.

Haha! No way that cartridge would fit! I think moving the biorings over as well as the paper from the biowheel will be plenty to prevent a mini cycle and seed the new media.

Ok, Aquaclear set up last night. I took apart the biowheel and the paper came off in two accordion pieces. One of those pieces is in the Aquaclear, along with the bio rings. Last week, I stuck two sponges in my Emperor to get the bacteria going. Those two sponges are also in the new filter. Hoping to avoid a mini cycle. Tested water this morning: Ammonia- 0, Nitrites- 0, Nitrates- 40. Did a partial to get those Nitrates down below 20. Will check everything again tomorrow.

it is unlikely that you would have a problem. The existing filters split the load and the old AC 50 would pick up some of the the slack. As well, every hard surface in the tank is covered with nitrifying bacteria which are also part of your filtration. The seeding you have done should help bring the new filter up to speed relatively quickly. Keep an eye on things but my guess is you won't have any issues.

So far I'm very happy with my new filter. Past couple of days I tested: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40 nitrates one day, but 20 since then ( after PWC). My water is crystal clear and together the two Aquaclears are VERT quiet!
I would notice a mini cycle right away, correct?

Back
Top Bottom