new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
My filter that i had originally was a small internal one it filtered something like 400liters an hours i now have a hang on back filter pumping out 1600liters an hour hopefully it will help keep my tank cleaner for longer

My filter that i had originally was a small internal one it filtered something like 400liters an hours i now have a hang on back filter pumping out 1600liters an hour hopefully it will help keep my tank cleaner for longer

Sounds good, was it possible to switch some of the media from old to new filter? Or was it possible to let both run at the same time for a while (just to keep your BB going)

Yea im letting them both run till it gets seeded

Good stuff sounds like you know your stuff, maybe you can help me? I have a small HOB filter that uses a cartridge, I needed to replace the cartridge so what I've done so far is place the new one under the water fall of the filter with the old cartridge in left it there for 2 days and swapped them out on the 3rd day. I put the old cartridge into the tank again so as to keep as much BB as possible, will this have helped or not and when would I be able to take out the old cartridge altogether?

You don't necessarily have to use those cartridges, though it can depend on how much space is inside the filter box. I usually toss them, because they have carbon which I don't want to use unless needed. I replace the cartridge with sponge I cut to fit the space, and filter floss, both are dead easy to clean and last a long, long time. Sponge for years, floss for months, until it begins to fall apart.

To clean, simply squeeze out well in tank water, never tap water. Clean floss one day, sponge another, and never worry about too few BB in the filter. Also a heck of a lot cheaper than most cartridges. I have yet to meet a filter I could not fit with alternate media, of several internal and HOB models I have.

Im not a pro or anything but i think what your doing will be fine a lot of the BB is in the tank in other places as well but yea you should be sweet i dont think it matters to much it wont cycle your tank again if you.done a straight swap

Thanks both of you, I got a pack of two cartridges so once I've used the other ill try the sponge idea :) thanks for the help and sorry to hijack your thread lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom