New filters (thoughts?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive got a 20 gallon long that is somewhat heavily planted. I have the Fluval LED for plants and am using pressurized CO2, both on the same timer.
Im currently using an internal filter (Fluval U2) and Im starting to not like it so much. It takes up a lot of space inside the aquarium and it clogs easily which reduces the flow quite a bit. So Im looking to change.

One of the reasons I went with the internal to begin with is because I didnt think I had enough room between the aquarium and the wall for a HoB (about 3 inches), but now Im starting to think that I could get an Aqueon Quietflow 20 back there because the rear part is a little more slim than other HoBs. However, Im not convinced the biological "bio-holster" aspect is super great, so I was thinking of supplementing with a sponge filter.
Another HoB option is a Fluval C2, but Im still working on finding out how much clearance is needed behind the tank. If it will fit, then Im thinking I wont need the additional sponge filtration.

A few questions:
Ive never used a sponge filter. Does it offer the biological filtration that it claims to? I was looking at these: Foam Aquarium Biological Filters: Azoo Oxygen Plus Bio-Filters

Will the surface agitation created by a HoB and/or sponge filter have a noticeable impact on my CO2?

The sponge/air pump could be timed to run on the opposite schedule as the CO2. Would the lack of air running through it for 7hrs a day be a problem for the BB colony?

Also, Im always open to other suggestions.
Oh, and in case somebody brings it up: Unfortunately a canister is not an option. Ive tried it before and it doesn't work well because this particular tank sits pretty low to the ground.

1. Yes, although I recommend making your own so you can adjust the height to close to the water level to reduce the gas exchange.

2. Depends on the strength of the bubbles, but I don't have experience when it comes to dosing CO2 with a sponge filter. As long as the flow rate is low you should be okay. You can always tweak the amount of CO2 you dose to acccount for this if you see the plants start to weaken.

3. It will affect the BB colony so this isn't the best idea. You could always lessen the air flow instead.

Maybe you could get a powerhead and put a prefilter on it and let the output feed into a bottle of biomax. The bottle would have holes on the opposite end of the input to release water.

Or you could bring a ruler to the store. I do sometimes XD

Best of luck, - Raymond

Hi Coyne,

I have a c2 and it's an awesome filter! Keeps my 17g crystal clear. However, I just measured the back and you'll need at least 3.5" clearance for it to fit. Are you able to move your tank forward away from the wall a bit? If so, definitely get this HOB. It's like a canister/hob hybrid. Highly customizable media.

Do the Aqueon filters use "cartridges?" I think they do. Anyways, I'd avoid HOB's that use proprietary cartridges because they're hard to customize and they want you to spend money on replacement cartridges to keep them running optimally.

How low to the ground are you talking here? I have a fluval 106 that was running on my nano that was on a 2' stand. It ran like a champ. I'm sure it would do fine on an even shorter stand. The filtration rate, capacity, and silence of a canister can't be beat by most filter options. It also requires very little clearance in the back of your tank.

Lastly, I'd avoid a sponge filter in a CO2 injected tank. It's counter productive to CO2 dissolution. I'm not sure how having it on a timer would affect the BB. But IMO, not having it run 24/7 is a waste of space and not very appealing to look at. They're good for low tech shrimp tanks though!

Hi Coyne,

I have a c2 and it's an awesome filter! Keeps my 17g crystal clear. However, I just measured the back and you'll need at least 3.5" clearance for it to fit. Are you able to move your tank forward away from the wall a bit? If so, definitely get this HOB. It's like a canister/hob hybrid. Highly customizable media.

Do the Aqueon filters use "cartridges?" I think they do. Anyways, I'd avoid HOB's that use proprietary cartridges because they're hard to customize and they want you to spend money on replacement cartridges to keep them running optimally.

How low to the ground are you talking here? I have a fluval 106 that was running on my nano that was on a 2' stand. It ran like a champ. I'm sure it would do fine on an even shorter stand. The filtration rate, capacity, and silence of a canister can't be beat by most filter options. It also requires very little clearance in the back of your tank.

Lastly, I'd avoid a sponge filter in a CO2 injected tank. It's counter productive to CO2 dissolution. I'm not sure how having it on a timer would affect the BB. But IMO, not having it run 24/7 is a waste of space and not very appealing to look at. They're good for low tech shrimp tanks though!

I received a link for the C2s at PetSolutions.com and its listing the rear clearance as 2 3/4" which would be SUPER tight. I may talk to a salesman at my LFS and see how big of a hassle it would be to return it if it cant fit.

Unfortunately, I cant really move the tank. Its the bottom tank on one of those "Double Tank" type stands and I have the whole think sorta mounted to the wall behind it as an extra measure to prevent it from tilting forward (I rent). It being on the bottom, the top of the tank is only about 15" of the ground. I originally tried a small Eheim Ecco, but the top of the canister and the top of the tank were almost level, so it was always struggling to maintain the siphon.

I think Plan A will be to see if the C2 will fit. My LFS is having a sale this weekend... so bonus.

I'll cross the "it didnt fit" bridge if I come to it.

Thanks. (y)

Ugh... I asked my question about C2 clearance on Dr. F&S and their rep is saying that I need 5". :confused:

Guess I'll find out on Friday. If it doesnt fit, then I think I'll just use it as an upgrade for my 10 gallon.

Brian - is this on a rimless tank? I'm guessing that with a normal tank rim, the body of the filter would sit closer to the tank (in the case of the pic, more to the left). This would buy back some of the space needed behind the tank.

Id have to say the c2 would probably work. In reference to the picture you can see a fairly large gap between the tank and the actual filter. Since your tank is right on a wall the wall could prop it up. As long as the gap between tank and wall is as wide as the "media" part of the filter.

Brian - is this on a rimless tank? I'm guessing that with a normal tank rim, the body of the filter would sit closer to the tank (in the case of the pic, more to the left). This would buy back some of the space needed behind the tank.

Yes, rimless. There's the gap because I'm using the leveler thingy-mabobber on the bottom of the HOB to level it. I'm not sure how this would play out on a rimmed tank. Does that leveler piece make it the same regardless? Or could it be pushed in to the left as you say and be level? Aquaclear filters have this too, as you know. Well probably all HOB's for that matter.

Edit: come to think about it, my guess would be 3" clearance "comfortably." However, 2 3/4" as petsolutions said might work but it'll be a tight fit. Fresh2o brought up a good observation.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to get photographic evidence Brian. I think its going to be close no matter how I cut it. Hopefully it will be close in my favor. :brows:
Im not sure where the person from Dr. F&S got 5" from, but at least that's clearly not the case.

For anybody that was even slightly interested... It fits! but only just barely. :whistle:

Brian, are you using yours on a tank with pressurized CO2? If so, where would you recommend placing the diffuser?

Oh good.. glad to hear the fluval c fits! It's an excellent choice. It may or may not be a little noisy at first, but once it breaks in and develops biofilm (lube) around the impeller, it'll be silent.

I have the diffuser like 3 inches away from the intake. LEFT corner. I had my diffuser also in the middle of my tank before. That was about 6 inches away. It doesn't matter too much. Just make sure the tank is topped off well so there's less surface agitation.

Back
Top Bottom