New Fish Day For 55g!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got back from the LFS and have added more fish to my 55 gallon!

I came home with 7 neon tetras and 2 neon black hi fin variatus.

So now I have:

2 Rummy nosed tetras
5 male cobra endlers
7 neon tetras
2 neon black hi fin variatus
1 zebra nerite
5 ghost shrimp

My tank is planted with water wisteria, ludwigia palustrus, hornwort, 2 argentine swords and micro sword.

I've had my tank set up since march 25th. After trying to be as patient as possible I've slowly added more fish over the last 2 weeks. First the Rummies, then the endlers, snail and shrimp, and now the neons and variatus. I hope not to lose any of the neons. I drip acclimated them and I'm going to leave the tank lights off for a bit so they get comfortable. I'll post a FTS when I get the lights back on. Hooray for new fish!!

I just got back from the LFS and have added more fish to my 55 gallon!

I came home with 7 neon tetras and 2 neon black hi fin variatus.

So now I have:

2 Rummy nosed tetras
5 male cobra endlers
7 neon tetras
2 neon black hi fin variatus
1 zebra nerite
5 ghost shrimp

My tank is planted with water wisteria, ludwigia palustrus, hornwort, 2 argentine swords and micro sword.

I've had my tank set up since march 25th. After trying to be as patient as possible I've slowly added more fish over the last 2 weeks. First the Rummies, then the endlers, snail and shrimp, and now the neons and variatus. I hope not to lose any of the neons. I drip acclimated them and I'm going to leave the tank lights off for a bit so they get comfortable. I'll post a FTS when I get the lights back on. Hooray for new fish!!
Awesome!! I personally have never had a problem with my Neons, the ones from Petsmart must be pretty darn hardy! (They must be if they survived the journey TO Petsmart, as that journey has claimed many fish lives...) I would keep an eye on the ammonia, in case the BB get overwhelmed and ammonia begins to rise. Some have never had this problem, but that's just my two cents.

I will definitely keep an eye on the ammo. I'll test it tonight and again in the morning and tomorrow night.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between male and female neon black hi fin variatus? I really love the look of those guys. I could almost add a few more. They are so pretty!

I've been offered a free male kribensis. I'll pick him up tomorrow afternoon. He's the 3rd wheel in his tank. The other male paired off with the only female so he gets picked on. I don't know if I should put him in my 5 gallon fluval for QT or just put him in my 55. I think he's about 2 inches in length but I'm not sure. Suggestions?

Bearchumjs said:
I will definitely keep an eye on the ammo. I'll test it tonight and again in the morning and tomorrow night.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between male and female neon black hi fin variatus? I really love the look of those guys. I could almost add a few more. They are so pretty!

I've been offered a free male kribensis. I'll pick him up tomorrow afternoon. He's the 3rd wheel in his tank. The other male paired off with the only female so he gets picked on. I don't know if I should put him in my 5 gallon fluval for QT or just put him in my 55. I think he's about 2 inches in length but I'm not sure. Suggestions?

I can definitely tell the difference. Same with all livebearers. Males have a stick-like protrusion on their bellies, known as a gonopodium, females only have a fanned fin, and no gonopodium.

phoenixkiller said:
I can definitely tell the difference. Same with all livebearers. Males have a stick-like protrusion on their bellies, known as a gonopodium, females only have a fanned fin, and no gonopodium.

I think I may have 1 male and 1 female. Babies could be interesting...

phoenixkiller said:
If possible, I would get another female to reduce stress on the lone female.

Point well taken. I will keep an eye on my parameters and if everything is going well I'll see if they have another female in a few days.

Bearchumjs said:
Point well taken. I will keep an eye on my parameters and if everything is going well I'll see if they have another female in a few days.

Sounds like everything is well looked after. I truly hope no complications arise!

phoenixkiller said:
Sounds like everything is well looked after. I truly hope no complications arise!

My husband tells me I obsess over it. I really debated about getting the 2 variatus fish today. I gave in, hopefully I don't regret it.

One of the neons had separated himself from the others and he has an area on his side where the color just doesnt seem right. I removed him and put him in my 5 gallon for observation. My experience with the Rummies seemed to be that once they removed themselves from the school they were done for. I hope he'll be ok but if he has something I don't want him contaminating the others. I'll check on him in the a.m. My 5 gallon has some good hiding spots so I hope he hides and feels safe in there...

Bearchumjs said:
My husband tells me I obsess over it. I really debated about getting the 2 variatus fish today. I gave in, hopefully I don't regret it.

One of the neons had separated himself from the others and he has an area on his side where the color just doesnt seem right. I removed him and put him in my 5 gallon for observation. My experience with the Rummies seemed to be that once they removed themselves from the school they were done for. I hope he'll be ok but if he has something I don't want him contaminating the others. I'll check on him in the a.m. My 5 gallon has some good hiding spots so I hope he hides and feels safe in there...

Oh no! I don't know about the fact that you are keeping him separated from the others, that may INCREASE stress on him. I'm thinking he just didn't take to the trip to your house very well. Keep me updated on his condition!

phoenixkiller said:
Oh no! I don't know about the fact that you are keeping him separated from the others, that may INCREASE stress on him. I'm thinking he just didn't take to the trip to your house very well. Keep me updated on his condition!

He didn't make it. :(. Surprisingly it looks like the other 6 are doing fantastic. Their colors are bright and appetites are vigorous. They ate blood worms yesterday and flake this morning. The hi fin variatus seemed interested in the flakes, but spit them out. I read they like plant based food so I dropped in an algae wafer to see if they wanted it. They have pecked at it and are hovering over it like they are guarding it. They keep chasing a shrimp away. I was able to get a good look at them and I definitely have a male and female hi fin.

Bearchumjs said:
He didn't make it. :(. Surprisingly it looks like the other 6 are doing fantastic. Their colors are bright and appetites are vigorous. They ate blood worms yesterday and flake this morning. The hi fin variatus seemed interested in the flakes, but spit them out. I read they like plant based food so I dropped in an algae wafer to see if they wanted it. They have pecked at it and are hovering over it like they are guarding it. They keep chasing a shrimp away. I was able to get a good look at them and I definitely have a male and female hi fin.

So sorry about your Neon. :(. The variatus probably aren't too hungry at the moment, and still in shock a bit. If you only offer them flakes, they will eat it when they need to. I once had a Platy that didn't eat for 3 days, then on the fourth, he suddenly had the greatest appetite of all! I would keep an eye on your variatus, they may have a disease/diseases...

phoenixkiller said:
So sorry about your Neon. :(. The variatus probably aren't too hungry at the moment, and still in shock a bit. If you only offer them flakes, they will eat it when they need to. I once had a Platy that didn't eat for 3 days, then on the fourth, he suddenly had the greatest appetite of all! I would keep an eye on your variatus, they may have a disease/diseases...

The male seems to be swimming around checking everything out. The female is kind of just hanging out by the water wisteria.

What kind of diseases? Are they prone to having them?

phoenixkiller said:

Well... I was looking real hard at her and I don't see anything on her. She looks good, just laying on the bottom. The male goes and checks on her every now and again. I think she's stressed. Should I just go ahead and turn out the lights for a few hours today? I have live plants but I think they'll be ok to go lightless for the majority of the day.

Or should I just leave everything alone.

Well... I was looking real hard at her and I don't see anything on her. She looks good, just laying on the bottom. The male goes and checks on her every now and again. I think she's stressed. Should I just go ahead and turn out the lights for a few hours today? I have live plants but I think they'll be ok to go lightless for the majority of the day.

Or should I just leave everything alone.
Does she look fat or anything like that? Sounds like there is a bit of stress on her. If you've got a QT tank, I would moniter her condition there.

New fish are stressed fish. What you need to do is keep them calm. Don't move the fish IMO. When you add new fish to your tank you need to acclimate them quietly and transfer them with as little fuss as possible. Turn the tank lights off for the rest if the day and leave the tank alone. No water change, messing with plants, feeding, etc. It's very stressful being moved from breeder to supplier to the LFS to your tank, all sometimes within a few days. Stop stressing and don't fuss. Your doing your best.

Mumma.of.two said:
New fish are stressed fish. What you need to do is keep them calm. Don't move the fish IMO. When you add new fish to your tank you need to acclimate them quietly and transfer them with as little fuss as possible. Turn the tank lights off for the rest if the day and leave the tank alone. No water change, messing with plants, feeding, etc. It's very stressful being moved from breeder to supplier to the LFS to your tank, all sometimes within a few days. Stop stressing and don't fuss. Your doing your best.

Ok! When I got home I turned out the tank lights and left the tv off and the blinds closed when they were acclimating. I drip acclimated the neons and did the floating while adding tank water to the bag in 10-15 minute intervals. I added them to the tank and left the lights out for an hour. They had about 4 hours of lights on and then it was lights out until this morning. When I was home 20 mins ago she was more active. She was staying in amongst the plants on the on end of the tank. I'll go ahead and turn out the lights when I get back home and leave them off until tomorrow. I'm sure the plants have gotten enough light today. I have a scheduled pwc tomorrow but I will hold off until the new additions are all acting well unless I get a reading that requires a pwc, but so far it looks like I shouldn't have any problems with that.

Back
Top Bottom