New Fish Day For 55g!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phoenixkiller said:
Get some more Neons. Neons are a tiny bit sensative, so some deaths is understandable. I will BEG you to get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit! It's the only one I trust, IME

I have the API master kit. I just tested ammo trites and trates this morning. 0-0-40/80 were my readings. I'll test pH tonight.

I'm going to have to give it time on the neons. I think the petco is thinking I'm a fish murderer right now.

I found a fry in my tank this morning! It must be from one of the female variatus. And I wonder if there will be more. I posted a different thread about it called holy fish fry batman. There is a picture posted there. I got 2 more females last night because the male would not leave the other fish alone! Every time the neons would school he'd go break them up. He's not been bothering the other fish at all since he now has his harem of golden beauties!

If your nitrates are 40, do a 50% water change immediately.

I'd get more Rummies if I could. They *might* get some thursday and if they do it will be their last shipment and i dont want to get 5 more fish when i need to get a female variatus (explanation later in this post) and im getting a krib in a week.

You HAVE to get more rummies, if you're keeping the existing two. They need more of their kind. They need a lot more of their kind.

Personally, I feel like I'm on a roller coaster watching you stock this tank. You do know it's better if you don't rush it, right?

And now you're getting, or have already gotten, kribs in this tank? I think you're going to have a big problem on your hands once they spawn every month. The neons and rummies won't survive it.

You HAVE to get more rummies, if you're keeping the existing two. They need more of their kind. They need a lot more of their kind.

Personally, I feel like I'm on a roller coaster watching you stock this tank. You do know it's better if you don't rush it, right?

And now you're getting, or have already gotten, kribs in this tank? I think you're going to have a big problem on your hands once they spawn every month. The neons and rummies won't survive it.
As far as I know, he's only getting ONE kribensis.

Poor krib...... he'll miss out on having a mate. Kribs pair off like it's nobody's business.

bear, why the krib?

And, forgive me for being blunt but there's no other way to ask, are you doing any species compatibility research PRIOR to plopping all these fish in this tank or are you just hoping for the best?

LyndaB said:
Poor krib...... he'll miss out on having a mate. Kribs pair off like it's nobody's business.

bear, why the krib?

And, forgive me for being blunt but there's no other way to ask, are you doing any species compatibility research PRIOR to plopping all these fish in this tank or are you just hoping for the best?

I wanted kribs because they are pretty, can live in my water, and I've read they were pretty peaceful except when breeding or rearing young. So I thought- maybe I can just get one male. I looked up if I can keep a single male. I found out that I could. When I was at LFS I mentioned that I wanted a male krib but not that day because I was getting the other fish. She told me she has a male that doesn't have a mate. She bought 2 males and a female to get the female to pair off with one of them. Now she has a tank with an extra krib that is getting picked on all the time. She said if I wanted him I can have him. So she's holding on to him for a little while.

I have looked up info on my fish, before I've bought them. So far I've found that they are all peaceful community fish. I've not gone out and got fish that are aggressive. I've not gotten fish that will be too large and outgrow my tank. There have been alot of fish I have wanted to get but then researched and realized it wasn't going to work for whatever reason.

LyndaB said:

My nitrates are always 40. It's in my tap water.

The one platy closer in the pic is a female I'm guessing the other is a male

Mumma.of.two said:
Get yourself some floating plants. IME hornwort is a nitrate sponge.

I have one!! :) I got it maybe 2 weeks ago. it was just a single stem. It just started growing the last few days too and it's growing pretty fast IMO. I have a crypt and some java moss coming from severum.mama this week too.

phoenixkiller said:
Yeah, Hornwort I hear works pretty good. I have heard that Amazon Swords aren't too shabby either!

I have 2 argentine swords. They are sort of the same, right?

I have one!! :) I got it maybe 2 weeks ago. it was just a single stem. It just started growing the last few days too and it's growing pretty fast IMO. I have a crypt and some java moss coming from severum.mama this week too.
Cool. I like ordering from her. Always packages well. My experience with live plants is that once they start growing, they will grow like weeds. And it's at those times when you sell your extra stems and get some money off of them ;).

phoenixkiller said:
It may have been altered by a person in charge. Anything new or exciting about the new fish?

Nothing really. They are all doing really good. The neons are bright blue, the platies are good. I thought I had lost the male yesterday but he was just napping in the castle. I got my crypt, java moss and hornwort from severum mama today. It's all in there now. I think I should get 6 more neons next week. Maybe next Sunday. If they all make it I'll have a school of 10. I'll just have to take my time acclimating them. Drip acclimating seems to work best for me.

Nothing really. They are all doing really good. The neons are bright blue, the platies are good. I thought I had lost the male yesterday but he was just napping in the castle. I got my crypt, java moss and hornwort from severum mama today. It's all in there now. I think I should get 6 more neons next week. Maybe next Sunday. If they all make it I'll have a school of 10. I'll just have to take my time acclimating them. Drip acclimating seems to work best for me.
Yeah, drip acclimation is really good for Neons, as most people find them a bit sensitive. I must have gotten lucky because mine are hardier than my platies! I'll probably get a few more Neons, so they are a little bit more active.

P.S. Severum Mama is awesome with shipping things. I ordered 12 Yellow Tiger Endlers, and they were all alive.

Every. Single. One.

phoenixkiller said:
Yeah, drip acclimation is really good for Neons, as most people find them a bit sensitive. I must have gotten lucky because mine are hardier than my platies! I'll probably get a few more Neons, so they are a little bit more active.

P.S. Severum Mama is awesome with shipping things. I ordered 12 Yellow Tiger Endlers, and they were all alive.

Every. Single. One.

If only she bred rummy nose tetras!

I actually think drip acclimation is easier than the take water out/put water in method.

I'd order from live aquaria but it's going to cost $60 and I'd have to get 7 Rummies and 5 or 6 neons. I do t want to add that many fish at once! So anyway, maybe next week I'll get some more neons.

Now I'd better get out there and plant those last 35 trees. I did 45 yesterday. It's getting hot. They need to be in the ground! I'd rather stay in and watch the fish.

Back
Top Bottom