New fish die instantly.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good morning! @fishwonder
PH - 6.6, Ammonia - 2.0-4.0 PPM, Nitrite - 0.25 PPM, Nitrate - 5.0 PPM

Didn't really read if the results are normal. Maybe I should do that.

Both fish are doing well. What are my next steps on getting new fish next weekend? How often should I do water changes?

Good morning! @fishwonder
PH - 6.6, Ammonia - 2.0-4.0 PPM, Nitrite - 0.25 PPM, Nitrate - 5.0 PPM
Didn't really read if the results are normal. Maybe I should do that.
Both fish are doing well. What are my next steps on getting new fish next weekend? How often should I do water changes?
I'm sorry, no new fish for you. Ammonia it too high and it appears like the above you have to finish your filter cycling. Ammonia and nitrite will be 0 when the cycle is finished before you can add any more fish.

As stated before... Once up and running, you can put your fish back in. Test water with your API freshwater test kit. You are probable going to need to follow this information about Fish-In-Cycliing.

As it says in the above for water changes... Just keep going with no water changes unless gaseous ammonia (Seachem Alert test) hits 0.2 ppm, ammonia and ammonium (API test) hit 2 or nitrite hits 2 ppm (at 7.6 pH). Remember, cycling requires three things: Patience, Patience, Patience. So you need a 50% water change to lower the ammonia by 50% and add your API Tap Water conditioner according to the instructions.

Your pH is a little low, would be nice to get it around 7+.

Did you get the alert when he used the @ symbol?
Nope. This is all I get all the time...

Dear fishwonder, flOve58752O has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - New fish die instantly. - in the Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion forum of Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community. This thread is located at: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/new-fish-die-instantly-376055-new-post.html Here is the message that has just been posted:
Autumnsky says it does not work. Oh well...

So if you post in a thread or subscribe, this is what you get.

I am going to need patience. On Wednesday I will change 50% of water and change my three filters, put in API water conditioner and then test on Thursday. Does this sound right? I might lose my patience after this.

I am going to need patience. On Wednesday I will change 50% of water and change my three filters, put in API water conditioner and then test on Thursday. Does this sound right? I might lose my patience after this.
Well since you state you have 2-4 ppm ammonia, you should change 50% water now. Test everyday until you see your ammonia at 0. Would be nice to test your tap water itself for ammonia too. Just in case there is some in there.

Nope. This is all I get all the time...

Dear fishwonder, flOve58752O has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - New fish die instantly. - in the Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion forum of Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community. This thread is located at: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/new-fish-die-instantly-376055-new-post.html Here is the message that has just been posted:
Autumnsky says it does not work. Oh well...

So if you post in a thread or subscribe, this is what you get.
Haha! That stinks, I'll get a notification that says, Fishwonder has mentioned you in a post. But I can't "Thank" anyone, or friend anyone. I don't have those buttons

Haha! That stinks, I'll get a notification that says, Fishwonder has mentioned you in a post. But I can't "Thank" anyone, or friend anyone. I don't have those buttons
Ha, that is what I would expect, but I don't get that... Huh I do have a Thanks button.

Do not change your filters.. that will start the process all over again.

@NayaVe I will not change my filters. Thanks. @fishwonder Should I check the water before adding and removing water? Doing this tomorrow. I also heard that getting some live plants will help.

@delapool I never tank cycle. I usually just add water when the tank starts getting low, where the water pouring from the filter gets annoying. I do not perform any water tests. Maybe this is my failure. I would say within a couple of hours they die. @ fishwonder hours.

Should I check the water before adding and removing water? Doing this tomorrow. I also heard that getting some live plants will help.

Yes check your water. I believe this was your original problem, chlorine since it will kill fish in hours, and you said you never cycle a tank and don't add any de chlorination.

Chlorine information is here and more here.
Chlorine in the aquarium.

For your fish to die so quickly Im thinking temperature and or extreme ammonia readings. Too many sketchy things going on. What temp is the water? All the changing filter stuff is not good, need to let the filter cycle which just takes time, changing it or cleaning it kills the cycle. Chlorine will kill the fish real fast, overfeeding is another big problem. Another issue I see with many new comers is the addition of additives, one of them to lower/raise pH, this can actually shock your fish more than benefit them along with dozens of other additives being sold. A good de-chlorinator is about all you need to start up. At this point with the high ammonia reading and fish in the tank, I would let the filter just cycle, yes it takes time, 4-6 weeks. Its not that difficult to keep fish, stick to the basics, sometimes we just need to be patient you'll get there.

I have had a bit of experience with this myself.
A while back I meant to get some Cory catfish for my 65 gallon and they both ended up dying in the morning due to ammonia poisoning because my goldfish had produced an ammonia level of 2 in about 3 months. This was our mistake for never changing water and never doing water tests and we are lucky that our goldfish didn’t die. I would recommend checking your tank levels.

Goldfish are tough, some people actually cycle their tanks with them.

Back
Top Bottom