New fish die instantly.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
View attachment 320138
Hello guys. Please see pic. Added 3 live plants.
PH = 6.0, Ammonia 4.0, Nitrite = 0.5PPM, Nitrate = 5.0PPM

All bad readings. Added Instant Ocean Sea Buffer to raise PH.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...-seabuffer-aquarium-ph-and-alkalinity-booster

Should I follow the Master API kit to adjust the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I really appreciate the help.
You can't adjust ur tank water with the api master test kit , it just tests water then u adjust the water if it needs it , in ur situation yes its needed, the ammonia needs to be below 0.25 with fish in the tank .
But test ur tap wster to make sure there's no ammonia or nitrite or nitrate in that .
Crushed seashell and crushed coral will naturally raise ur ph safety.
I get mine from a gardening shop because the peices are bigger and the fish are not able to swallow it.
Its a one time add to ur tank .
You will need 500grams coral for 30 litres or 500 grams seashells for 100 litres

Ive skim read all the above. Unfortunately most of the people who was advising you dont seem to be active any more, so ill try and pick it up.

It looks like you have set up a new tank and done a fishless cycle. Is that correct? Or are you planning on doing a fish in cycle?

You have 1 fish in there? So you are doing a fish in cycle? Your parameters suggest you are cycled enough for the 1 fish. You can add a few more fish and continue your fish in cycle. Its likely your parameters will elevate when you add more bioload, but that's how a fish in cycle works. Continue to monitor parameters and do water changes as needed. If you continue to see 0 ammonia and nitrite over say a couple of weeks, you can then add a little more. Rinse and repeat until stocked.

You cant cycle a tank with 1 fish, its a process of gradually adding more bioload. You are fine to add a little more. Say 2 or 3 fish.

I would do a water change to bring the nitrate down a little before getting new fish though.

Hello Aiken. I actually bout 5 new fish. 3 black tetra and 2 firemouth cichlids.
So far all 5 are doing well. Should I test the water once a week or more often?
Thanks

You have increased the bioload considerably, gone from 1 fish to 6 fish. I would be testing everyday until i was sure that the system can cope with that increase. If you see no issues consecutively for 4 or 5 days you can cut back.

Hello Aiken. I actually bout 5 new fish. 3 black tetra and 2 firemouth cichlids.
So far all 5 are doing well. Should I test the water once a week or more often?
Thanks
How many gallons is your tank?

30 gallons is recommended for a single firemouth. Do you plan on upgrading in the future?

Back
Top Bottom