New Fish HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For Seachem prime since it’s a conditioner, can we pour it straight into the tank or do we pour it in the new water we’re are placing in the tank?

Alright so I am deciding to do a fish in cycle and use Seachem prime everyday. What would the procedure be.

Do I do a water change everyday, dechlorinate the water, and then pour the new water in the tank. After pouring in the new water do I pour Seachem prime directly into the tank?

Can I get a step to step procedure on what I should do now since I am doing a fish in cycle.

For Seachem prime since it’s a conditioner, can we pour it straight into the tank or do we pour it in the new water we’re are placing in the tank?
Either. Doesnt matter. Either treat water before you add it to the tank, or add enough to the tank to treat the whole tank before you start refilling.

Either. Doesnt matter. Either treat water before you add it to the tank, or add enough to the tank to treat the whole tank before you start refilling.

Can I just pour this directly into the tank, and not do any water changes until the cycle is complete

You’re really overthinking this, with a 20g tank it’s not that hard. It’s simple math, if your ammonia or nitrite is to high then do the corresponding percentage change on the tank to get the levels down. Let’s say 1ppm for both nitrite and ammonia, then a 75% change or 2 50% changes will get you down to .25 ppm for each, which is about where you want to keep them for a fish in cycle. Pouring prime in every day alone isn’t going to do anything of benefit for your cycle, it binds free ammonia to a point but will do nothing for nitrite. You’ll probably have to do 5-10 gallons every couple days but that’s easy

You’re really overthinking this, with a 20g tank it’s not that hard. It’s simple math, if your ammonia or nitrite is to high then do the corresponding percentage change on the tank to get the levels down. Let’s say 1ppm for both nitrite and ammonia, then a 75% change or 2 50% changes will get you down to .25 ppm for each, which is about where you want to keep them for a fish in cycle. Pouring prime in every day alone isn’t going to do anything of benefit for your cycle, it binds free ammonia to a point but will do nothing for nitrite. You’ll probably have to do 5-10 gallons every couple days but that’s easy

Sorry but I am new to all this and it is still confusing. So then can I just do water changes everyday to control the ammonia. I saw a YouTube video and I was told to use Seachem prime and double dose it on a daily basis. It mentioned not to do any water changes as that would remove the ammonia needed I’m your tank. The idea is too keep the ammonia in the tank so bacteria eventually eat it then produce nitrate, etc.

Sorry but I am new to all this and it is still confusing. So then can I just do water changes everyday to control the ammonia. I saw a YouTube video and I was told to use Seachem prime and double dose it on a daily basis. It mentioned not to do any water changes as that would remove the ammonia needed I’m your tank. The idea is too keep the ammonia in the tank so bacteria eventually eat it then produce nitrate, etc.
Yes. You can do water changes to control ammonia and forgo prime. As per my instructions and what bigredsreefs is telling you. Do whatever water changes you need to keep ammonia + nitrite combined no higher than 0.5ppm. Prime will detoxify a small amount of ammonia for a day or 2 and is a safety net. Dont rely on it though. If you arent controlling ammonia and nitrite through water changes it will build up to the point where the safety net wont be sufficient.

Yes you need some ammonia and nitrite to feed the bacteria responsible for your cycle. 0.5ppm combined is sufficient to do this while being low enough to be reletively safe for your fish.

If you want to rely 100% on the ammonia detoxifying properties of prime to safeguard your fish thats entirely up to you. Just remember that the quickstart was sold to you as something that will cycle your tank in 48 hours. Dont take every claim made on a bottle sold to you as gospel.

I just recently bought Seachem Prime. I am now opening it for the second time, at first it had a strong sulfur/metal smell and now it smells like rotten eggs. Is that normal?

I just recently bought Seachem Prime. I am now opening it for the second time, at first it had a strong sulfur/metal smell and now it smells like rotten eggs. Is that normal?
Yes. Prime is quite concentrated and has the smell you describe.

They need used to the new environment, and don't worry when they still healthy. Remember don't over feed, and salvage leftover fish food. Set the right lighting for tetra is important and can help they adapt to new home.
They like dark light when rest. I think the article of lighting for fish health can help you, because it includes tetras lighting.

They need used to the new environment, and don't worry when they still healthy. Remember don't over feed, and salvage leftover fish food. Set the right lighting for tetra is important and can help they adapt to new home.
They like dark light when rest. I think the article of lighting for fish health can help you, because it includes tetras lighting.

Hi, the article does not work.

My water has become very yellow for my aquarium. There is driftwood in their which is probably why it’s yellow, from all the tannins. Although, I had soaked and rinsed the driftwood before putting it in the tank. I don’t know what to do now, should I just remove it. Although I really want to keep the driftwood In the tank because it looks good. What should I do?

My water has become very yellow for my aquarium. There is driftwood in their which is probably why it’s yellow, from all the tannins. Although, I had soaked and rinsed the driftwood before putting it in the tank. I don’t know what to do now, should I just remove it. Although I really want to keep the driftwood In the tank because it looks good. What should I do?

Please refer to my post #7 where your tannins have been discussed and what measures you can take if you don't like the appearance.

The water colouration is tannins. Thats really beneficial for the fish. It can take months of soaking to remove tannins, a few days wont do it. You could boil the wood to remove a lot more a lot quickly, or if you wanted to to deal with it in the tank, activated carbon in the filter will remove it from the water.

Please refer to my post #7 where your tannins have been discussed and what measures you can take if you don't like the appearance.

All the water in the tank is yellow so there is no lack of filtration. But what is activated carbon?

Activated carbon is a type of processed carbon that is good at removing organic compounds. This includes tannins. Its used in aquarium filters to remove tannins, smells, medication. It has similar uses in non-aquarium filters. Its in your cooker hood, its in our cats litter tray, to remove odours.

Generally you use it to deal with a specific issue like your tannins and when its done its job you stop using it. Its expensive and needs replacing every couple of weeks. Some people use it continuously, although i don't feel there is any benefit of continuous use.

You can buy it loose, put it in a filter media bag, or buy it ready bagged up. Put the bag somewhere in your filter. Or its in some filter cartridges if you have the type of filter that takes cartridges.

https://fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/carbon-800-g-28-2-oz/

Your fish store should have activated carbon

My tank is currently in the process of cycling so all the beneficial bacteria hasn’t been formed yet. So can I still put a activated carbon cartridge in my filter, or should I wait until the tank is cycled. Will this affect the cycling process.

Back
Top Bottom