New Fish Losing Color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T21MomLove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We just bought a brand new 20 gallon tank. We washed all the gravel and fake items. run the tank with the water conditioner for 5 days prior to getting the fish. We got 6 fish because they stated to get them in shifts. I have a heater in there and it is seat at 78 but the tank is reading 80-82. I got 4 colored tetras, a flame tailed guppy and a greenish female beta. I noticed that the Beta is not that active and her color is fading starting at her head. The guppy is doing the same thing but is very active. What do I do? Are they dying?

Well first you need to learn how to cycle your tank. And you need to learn to stop listening to the pet stores. They literally know almost nothing about fish, and it really is a shame. They probably told you to just run the tank for 3-5 days and add fish right? Well it doesn't really work that way. This is how to cycle a tank:

Here, read these links:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice

The first one is about fish in cycling, the second is about fishless cycling. To cycle a tank you need to get some level of ammonia, and have bacteria in the tank (that get there through the air) to "eat" the ammonia, and make nitrites, which is "eaten" by another type of bacteria that produces nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are very bad for fish, and levels over .25 ppm of those are bad and can cause permanent damage (given enough time in that water). Nitrates are much less toxic. Nitrates should be under 40 ppm, but under 20 ppm is best. Nitrates are removed through water changes.

A fish's waster produces ammonia, which is the source for fish in cycling. For fish in, you just add fish, test daily, and do a 25 % water change when water gets above .25 ppm for ammonia or nitrites, until you consistently get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and x nitrates. Then, you are cycled (you have built up enough bacteria to "consume" the amount of waste produced by your current stock of fish. This is known as a bioload, the amount of waste a fish produces), and can add more fish, a few at a time.

Fishless cycling uses a source of ammonia (pure ammonia [bottled], a raw shrimp [the kind we eat], or fish food), try to get ammonia up to 4 ppm (but less is okay), and then just add more ammonia when it drops under 4, and do a water change when ammonia or nitrites somehow get over 5 ppm. Once you consistently get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and x nitrates, you are cycled, and can add your whole stock at once. If you don't add your whole stock at once, say add only 5 fish, and then wait a week, you cannot add your whole stock then, as the bacteria will die off until there is just enough ammonia produced for all of the bacteria to eat. While fishless cycling you should test at least every other day.

Right now you are fish in cycling, and some of your fish may die in the process. You need to be prepared to do lots of water changes.

Also, what kind of tetras are they? Can you distinguish their species or post pictures?

Hope this helps! Welcome to AA! :welcome:

Is the tank too warm? Feeding them right? What is the water tester called? I mean they cover the fish if they die under 2 weeks but I don't like to see that happen.

80 is fine, 82 might be pushing it a bit. Just lower the temperature on the heater to 76 and see if that helps. You should buy an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It is cheap on ebay and amazon. As far as feeding goes, you should feed them a small pinch once a day. Whatever they can consume in 2 minutes. The biggest danger is actually overfeeding, because that causes ammonia levels to rise and that's bad. What you really need to do now is lots of reading up on cycling and the entire fishkeeping hobby. It is a shame that so many people get into this hobby without any research first but it is usually, like in your case, the fault of pet stores. Just read, read, read, and when you finally think you have read all that you've needed to you might be halfway done reading!

(y)

Back
Top Bottom