new fish losing scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

Just 4 days ago I purchased 4 new fish for my 55 gallon tank. 3 Mollies and 1 Black Moore. Well, yesterday it looked like one of my female mollies was losing some scalles on the top of her head area, I just figured proabably from mating or something, but today, my Black Moore is now losing scales on his side and also the top of his head looks irritated. The Molly today also looks like it has a fuzzy spot sticking out of her head.

I don't know if this is concerning, but maybe I should take action? All my other fish seem okay, so far anyways....

This is my info, please help in any way, if you need a pic I can try to attach one.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? 1 female molly, losing scales and shows a fluffy spot on head. Black Moore looks like it's peeling scales off. Other than the appearance, they are eating and seem to be normal.
2~What are your tank parameters-
PH says like 6.4, although my kit is quite old and I don't know if they go bad, but it is a drop kit.
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Dont have a test for Nitrate
Water temp 69. (which I always have it at)

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
Tank is 55 gallons, been set up 7 years

4~What type of filtration are you using?
I have two filters, Aquatech 30-60 and also an Aquatech 20-40.

5~How many fish are in tank?
Total of 11 fish, 2 Tin Foil Barbs, about 6-7 inches, 2 irredesent sharks about 6-7inches, 3 little cory catfish, bout an inch and a half, and now my new Black Moore which is about an inch without his fins, and the 3 Mollies.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Last two water changes with gravel vacuum were on Sunday the 18th and Friday the 23rd, first one was about 50% because we moved the tank over a few feet, the second change was just the 20%.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Besides the 4 new fish, the others have been in there for years, the new ones were floating for an hour then I added some water from my tank to the bag, then waited another half hour, then put them in.

~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
nothing new
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Flakes and Shrimp pellets

Okay, to be on the safe side, I just removed them from the tank, all 4 of the new ones. They are now a little crowded, but I don't know what else to do.... ;(

This is just a guess as this has happened to me. Do you have any decor with sharp edges? Anything that the fish are swimming in and out of and rubbing their scales on? I bought this scull thing for my betta tank and I came home from work and all the scales from his head were scraped off, turned out, the scull eyes that he was swimming in and out of had sharp edges. If this is the case, remove the item and the scales will grow back.
Other than that I don't know what it could be and hopefully someone else will know.

Not really, I have this log looking thing, but it's certainly not sharp, my cory's go in it and don't seem to be scratched up. Gosh, I'm going to be so mad at the pet shop if these fish get my others sick somehow. I don't know what to do..... I was all excited taking an interest again with my tank and now this happens, I've NEVER had to deal with this crap. GRRR!

It sounds like it may be a bacterial infection. Try treating with Maracyn 2.

You should find a new home for the black moor. They should not be kept in a tropical tank.

Why would he not thrive in my tank? The water is not too warm, and he's certainly getting along with everyone. I googled them, and the only thing it said to be concerned with was getting food, he is certainly eating, it seems that's all he does..... Is there something I'm missing?

Mixing goldfish & tropicals are generally problematic <even if you find a temp that will accommodate both species.> Goldies don't do well with tropical flakes <wrong protein content, not enough roughage>, and they get gut & swimbladder problems. <And they will eat the tropical's food, even if you feed seperately!>

As for the current problem, it is not likely to be trauma since all the new fish are now involved & the fuzzy looking spot certainly is not simple trauma. I would remove affected fish to a hospital tank & treat.

Okay, I'm gonna bring the Black moore back to the store. Also, do you think the Molly's will not be happy in 70 degree water? It seems most people keep them warmer. I could keep them warmer, I just need a new heater because mine is on high already...

As far as the new fish, only 1 of the 3 molly's was having this problem. It seems to have gone away and now he looks completely normal. I still have him in a seperate tank though because I'm scared to put him back in, I think I'll wait a few weeks first. Would it be okay to treat even if it was just in injury?

would this be good? I have this Binox stuff that says it clears fungus and bacteria. states its a broad range treatment for tropical fish and goldfish for fungus, gray slime, and scratching and open sores. Says the active ingredients are sodium chloride, nitrofurazone.

I also just put the Molly's in the 10 gallon and left the Black Moore by himself in the one gallon, the Molly's were chasing him and biting him! Maybe that's why he's losing scales! Either way, I'm still bringing him back tomorrow, but at least he'll be safe for the night. :)

Good choice. Mollies do prefer temps closer to 78F. The Binox should be fine if you have it on hand. Remember to remove any carbon from your filters.

Back
Top Bottom