New fish, need IDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I took in some more cichlids from someone who was getting out of the hobby. He told me what he "thinks" they are, but I think he's wrong about a couple, need your opinions!

1) These are the first pair, he says the first pic is a female and the second a male?!

ForumRunner_20120106_171840.jpg

ForumRunner_20120106_171908.jpg

+1 on the ahli, im not sure on the others, first one might be a male kenyi??

DerekMartinez said:
That one is a male electric blue ahli, I have one that looks exactly like him.

Is that the same as Sciaenochromis Fryeri Iceberg? I've had an electric blue in the past, but this guy has a night white stripe down the top of him, from nose to down the dorsal fin...

Definitely not venustus on the second pair as I have had them before,not a match there..go to davesfish.com&you could use pics of his stock to help id yo fish..beautiful fish I might add..

tiger terror said:
Definitely not venustus on the second pair as I have had them before,not a match there..go to davesfish.com&you could use pics of his stock to help id yo fish..beautiful fish I might add..

Thanks!! I just talked to the person I got them from and he said he remembered them being call Tanzania's. I found this link:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1360
Looks just like them!! The male is just starting to color up, but there is definately blue on the top half and yellow on the bottom half, so I think I've figured this one out!!! What do you think? Thanks for your help!!

kelbaker79 said:
Is that the same as Sciaenochromis Fryeri Iceberg? I've had an electric blue in the past, but this guy has a night white stripe down the top of him, from nose to down the dorsal fin...

Lol I don't know the scientific name for it but yea mine has that same white stripe

the 1st two pics both look male
the 2nd and 3rd pair look like tanzanias, with the darker less coloured ones being female
the last pic looks like a very masculine electic blue ahli xx

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
the 1st two pics both look male
the 2nd and 3rd pair look like tanzanias, with the darker less coloured ones being female
the last pic looks like a very masculine electic blue ahli xx

Thank you!!!

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
do you have enough females in the tank for 1m 3f ratio they need? and np, they are gorgeous fish!! x

That's why I'm trying to find out exactly what they are. This guy was just getting rid of all his fish, and he wasn't taking care of them either, so it was kind of a rescue mission. The electric blue is by himself. The other ones, there are just 2 of them each, 1 M, 1 F...or so I was told. I need to get more females but need to find out what they are first...lol :)

Back
Top Bottom