New Fish Options.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well it looks like Rummynose Tetras will fail in my tank. I'm thinking of something to replace them as my remaining 5 don't look well. Maybe I just got a bad bunch of fish. Here are some possible options that I was thinking about: Black Phantom Tetras, Diamond Tetras, Platinum Hatchetfish, Marbled Hatchetfish, Red-Eye Tetras, or Threadfin Rainbowfish. Any other ideas?

You could do about any tetra or Harlequin rasboras. I personally love my Threadfins but they will stay mostly at the surface.

You could do about any tetra or Harlequin rasboras. I personally love my Threadfins but they will stay mostly at the surface.

What tetras would be too large for my tank? And I saw some Threadfins at my lfs. I thought they were really cool (neat looking fins).

I wouldn't do Congo's for sure possibly not Diamonds as they get a lot larger than people realize.

What tetras would be too large for my tank? And I saw some Threadfins at my lfs. I thought they were really cool (neat looking fins).

Congo tetras prob be too big. Practically all of the other tetras commonly found in LFSs would work.

I wouldn't do Congo's for sure possibly not Diamonds as they get a lot larger than people realize.

Okay. I'm probably not going to get tetras like Cardinal, Ember, or Neon too. So I'll get either medium sized tetras or small Rainbowfish.

Furcata rainbows are great top dwellers as well. I really love some of the peaceful barbs too. Check out pentazona barbs, checker barbs, or cherry barbs.

Furcata rainbows are great top dwellers as well. I really love some of the peaceful barbs too. Check out pentazona barbs, checker barbs, or cherry barbs.

Those Rainbows look cool. My original plan with the 30 gallon was to have Rainbowfish, but I never knew there were small ones before I joined the forum.

I was doing a little research about the Threadfin Rainbowfish. Do they really look like this?

image-795034780.jpg

Yes the males look like that. I keep them and you do want to get as many females as males or even slightly more females. This will make the males display a lot.

Yes the males look like that. I keep them and you do want to get as many females as males or even slightly more females. This will make the males display a lot.

Cool. If I get them I'll get 3 males and 3 females. If not, I'll get 6-7 Hatchets. I'm also interested in Hillstream Loaches. Particularly the Reticulated ones. Do they need low temperatures. My Rams like the temperature I have now... around 78.8

Hillstream loaches like cooler temps and high currents so I suggest not getting any.

Hillstream loaches like cooler temps and high currents so I suggest not getting any.

Okay. How about some Upside-Down Catfish? I think a stock like this would be very colorful and interesting:

1 Electric Blue Ram (Female)
1 German Blue Ram (Male)
2 Upside-Down Catfish or 3 Amano Shrimp
1 Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish
5 Cory Cats
2 Panda Garra
7 Bentos Tetras
6 Threadfin Rainbowfish or 6 Marbled Hatchets

IMO your pushing the stocking limits of a 30g tank and IDK if the rams would bother the cray since they are small.

Back
Top Bottom