New fish recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I am looking to buy another couple of fish for my tank (after a couple of disasters in previous months)

I had some pretty bad advice from the LFS:

1) a Dwarf Gourami will be fine with my Betta (resulting in the Gourami dying)

2) Clown loaches only grow to 4" and will be fine with your betta (i since found out they grow 12" plus and nipped my bettas tail constrantly!)
so i took them back

3) Cory catfish are fine as long as you get a least 2 (now i hear that 5 is the minimum i should have bought, so i took them back!)

I have a 30G high tank, with:

1 x betta splenden
1 x platy
2 x bolivian rams
1 x Hoplo Catfish
6 x neon tetras
1 x Common Pleco (I know this will have to go soon as the LFS guy again told me this would grow to no more than 4"!)

How many more fish do you think i can get without being overstocked and what fish would you recommend as there's no way i'm asking my LFS guy again!!

Also i was wondering about ways to keep the algae level down, i assume shrimp would get eaten by the Rams - any ideas?

Many thanks!!

Henry

you could probably add 2-3 more platys, or, another bottom feeder.

You could trade your pleco for a Bristlenose - they grow much smaller and eat algae.

Do bristle noses need any special requirements like bog wood etc, or can they go straight in?

Also my common pleco doesn't even suck the glass anymore - will the bristlenose lose interest too?

Thanks!

Do bristle noses need any special requirements like bog wood etc, or can they go straight in?

Also my common pleco doesn't even suck the glass anymore - will the bristlenose lose interest too?

Thanks!

bristlenose strictly feed on algae, vegetables (veggie wafers) - although they do occasionally eat meaty foods and leftover food on the gravel.
They are Great for cleaning your glass - and they will never lose interest!

Bogwood or driftwood is recommended (as it helps with digestion and gives a place to hide), but they can survive without it.

bristlenose strictly feed on algae, vegetables (veggie wafers) - although they do occasionally eat meaty foods and leftover food on the gravel.
They are Great for cleaning your glass - and they will never lose interest!

Bogwood or driftwood is recommended (as it helps with digestion and gives a place to hide), but they can survive without it.

I think i'll invest in a Bristlenose then!

Does bogwood/driftwood change the colour of your tank?

Back
Top Bottom