new fluval 2gal -> overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey all,

i had my crowntail betta in a cheap walmart 3gallon and decided to go with a fluval 2gallon instead.. i set it up & grabbed 5 blue neon tetras today .. am i overstocked??

i was just gonna do 3 neons but the dude at the store said he thought it'd be cool with 5 since it was a fluval..

if i'm too packed -> what should i do?? remove 2 neons??

also, say i rehomed my neons anyway, what else can go in the 2gallon with my betta??

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!
THANKS FRIENDS!!

i would say it's overstocked and if you're gonna return 2 of em, you might as well return all of em since tetras love schools of at least 6 :/ what you could do tho is turn your tank into a shrimp tank :D i love those little critters feeding on whatever they find on the plants and they have little bioload too which means you could easily fit like 5-10 in there. they're naturally small, like 2cm at most and they love being in groups. simple to take care of and lovely to look at :)

well i'm definitely keeping my betta in there .. i know people on AA think they deserve bigger but compared to some desk bowl, i'd say Mr. Squigglesworth has a pretty dope life :)

as far as the tetras, i can throw them in my nephew's 55gal so thats no biggie .. but are there any other betta compatible tankmates i could get? just 1 or 2 dudes or dudettes perhaps? & will shrimp survive w/ my betta?

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!! :D

I don't think there's much room for other fish in a 2g with a betta. Maybe you can throw in 1 or 2 shrimp. I have a few ghost shrimp in with a betta now (5g though) and they get along fine. IME I've never seen bettas mess with shrimp.

there's a lot of things they're compatible with actually but your tank is pretty small lol i would put the tetras AND the betta in the 55g if you can and start over, or the betta can be lonely, they don't enjoy tankmates that much. if anything, you can feed them live food to liven up his day

JokerWx13 said:
i would say it's overstocked and if you're gonna return 2 of em, you might as well return all of em since tetras love schools of at least 6 :/ what you could do tho is turn your tank into a shrimp tank :D i love those little critters feeding on whatever they find on the plants and they have little bioload too which means you could easily fit like 5-10 in there. they're naturally small, like 2cm at most and they love being in groups. simple to take care of and lovely to look at :)

+1 on the shrimp idea. I love my shrimp tank, they are also extremely entertaining! As for the betta not eating them, it really just depends on the betta themselves. They could or could not eat the RCS. IMO, you should go with some ghost shrimp. They are about 33 cents each and get pretty huge. I've kept many bettas with them and have not had a problem. I'm sure the adult ghost shrimp can fight back:)

i definitely want some RCS!! & my betta seems like he has a good temperament with the neons so hopefully it will work with shrimps :)

I ENDED UP BOOTING THE NEONS

i've always had a problem w/ overstocking community .. i literally can't stop lol i'm just better with cichlids

i plan on eventually getting the 6gallon fluval but i'll be using this one for a little while

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS!!

any more input is more than welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom