New here! Water help questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mluna22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have had a fish tank for 2 weeks. I currently live on hard well water. I was wondering if I can stick water conditioner to help the hardness of the water ? The hardness is at 300 for very hard, Ph balance is 8.4 and alkalinity is at 300 on testing strips. Ive also been gifted a betta and 2 mollies! I’m not quite sure what to do about the hardness! Will it hurt them ?
I’ve also haven’t finished cycling my tank! I’ve already put them in. Any advice ? :ermm:

You can use RO or RO/DI Reverse osmosis / deionization water available usually at a Saltwater fish store for around 50 cents a gallon.

Or use distilled water mixed with your well water - you might try 1/3 your well water and 2/3 distilled and test it. you don't have to use it in gallons amounts to test, just like a cup size 2 distilled cups one tap/well water of each.

Also I know most people are super happy about having well water for their aquariums and don't bother to use a dechlorinator, but some dechlorinators do more, like bind heavy metals which could be bad for your fish, but especially bad for invertebrates.

Some people have had their well water detail tested and know what is or isn't in the water, in which case you might be just fine.

I recommend using something like Prime water conditioner to be on the safe side if you aren't sure!

Last edited:
Mollies

Well recently the mollies have been staying at the bottom of the tank. They move a bit and then go back to the bottom and just lay on the rocks and look kinda lifeless. I’m not sure if that normal or if it’s due to them not getting the water they exactly need! Could it be due to not the tank not being fully cycled yet! My betta seems to be okay she hovers above the rocks.

It’s a 10 gallon tank. I have purchased some ammonia strips and have tested the past 2 days. It says safe

Last edited:
Just checked the nitrate and nitrite. Says 0 for both. Mollies look to be moving a little more than they did before. Once ammonia starts to rise, what exactly would help to remove it ?

The ph is still 8.4. How often should water changed be ? I also do have some Marimo moss balls in the tank. Could that help with taking some toxins out ?

Plants, including Marimo balls and moss will help use up ammonia and keep better water.

The articles explain by testing 1 time per day, or more if needed, change water if you have readings that are at an unsafe level.

Ammonia .25 or more pwc
Nitrite anything other than 0 is unsafe do pwc
NitrAte over 30-50ppm do water changes until safe.

Do not rinse the filter pad /media in water with chlorine in it - always use treated /dechlorinated water, or the cleaner water from the top 1/3 of the fish tank to rinse the filter pads /media. If you change the filter pad you throw away your key beneficial bacteria colony. Or kill most off if rinsing with untreated tap water.

As for the pH you can do what I mentioned in post #2.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Back
Top Bottom