New here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
E-mailed it to myself so will add asap .. also, nitrAtes are actually higher than 10 - probably 20

Right, problems with the pic ... just trying to work out just how blue the water should be after testing at '0' ?

The colour is lighter than the .25 mark but is not as bright blue as the 0 on the chart. I've never seen what it looks like at 0 so I'm struggling to identify where I am at..

MattJ said:
Right, problems with the pic ... just trying to work out just how blue the water should be after testing at '0' ?

The colour is lighter than the .25 mark but is not as bright blue as the 0 on the chart. I've never seen what it looks like at 0 so I'm struggling to identify where I am at..

If it's that close to blue...that's fantastic news. A true zero will be a nice obvious baby blue.

Brill, so hopefully a matter of days then!

Are the NitrAtes OK at 20ish for now then?

MattJ said:
Brill, so hopefully a matter of days then!

Are the NitrAtes OK at 20ish for now then?

They're fine at 20. They might climb a bit more as the cycle finishes...but you'll only need to do a pwc to bring them back down below 20 before adding fish.

Yea, I appreciate that .. fingers crossed I'm near the end!

Is this the colour I am aiming for?

http://e0.aqua-fish.net/imgs/articles/nitrite-level-0ppm.jpg

(Not my pic)

If so, I don't think I'm too far away!

If you added ammonia within the last 24 hours and it's at zero, along with the picture of no2 where it is....You're cycled!!!

Get the nitrAtes down below 20 and add fish! (remember to turn the heater down so you don't cook them).

Congratulations! Remember, pics of your fish are a requirement of being an AA member, lol

I'm not quite at where that pic is, but it's nearer there than anything else!

I'm going to test again in the morning, see where I'm at and go from there.

I'll try remember to stick a pic up so you can help identify where I am exactly since I didn't get my own pic at 0 N'Ites.

MattJ said:
I'm not quite at where that pic is, but it's nearer there than anything else!

I'm going to test again in the morning, see where I'm at and go from there.

I'll try remember to stick a pic up so you can help identify where I am exactly since I didn't get my own pic at 0 N'Ites.

Here's the deal with fishless cycling...it's designed to be overkill to build the strongest bio-filter possible. 4ppm ammo down to 0 with 0 no2 in 24 hours is the benchmark we measure by...but if you're coming reasonably close to that time frame in being able to drop your levels...you're good to go :). Fish put out a small steady stream of ammo instead of dumping in 4ppm all at one time, so as long as you have established a healthy colony of beneficial bacteria...all is well :)

Aye ... I'll test in morning (about 9.5 / 10 hours time), redose to approx 4ppm and see what the results of that are in 24 hrs.. redose and test again to be sure.

Fingers crossed that within the next few days I'll be there!!

I do believe I'm finally done?

Going to retest tomorrow to be safe ...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110614_200954.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110614_200954.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 67
MattJ said:
I do believe I'm finally done?

Going to retest tomorrow to be safe ...

Congratulations :). You have a cycled tank. You can test it one more time if you'd like, but just make sure you turn down the heater and do a large pwc to get the nitrAtes below 20 before adding fish. Great job!

I'll test tomorrow night as I'm at work all day anyway so wouldn't be able to get fish if I wanted to!

To be honest .. if I test tomorrow it will be WED PM

I am at work Thurs and Fri so most likely be adding fish on SATURDAY

My plan..

Tues PM - test ok, redosed to 4ppm
Wed PM - Test - if OK .. redose to 1ppm?
Thurs PM - redose to 1ppm?
Fri PM - redose to 1ppm ?
Sat - if I redose to 1ppm on Friday night about 8ish as I have been doing, would I be able to add fish any time on the Sat or am I best off leaving it until as late as poss?

MattJ said:
I'll test tomorrow night as I'm at work all day anyway so wouldn't be able to get fish if I wanted to!

To be honest .. if I test tomorrow it will be WED PM

I am at work Thurs and Fri so most likely be adding fish on SATURDAY

My plan..

Tues PM - test ok, redosed to 4ppm
Wed PM - Test - if OK .. redose to 1ppm?
Thurs PM - redose to 1ppm?
Fri PM - redose to 1ppm ?
Sat - if I redose to 1ppm on Friday night about 8ish as I have been doing, would I be able to add fish any time on the Sat or am I best off leaving it until as late as poss?

Don't worry about dosing Friday night...just make sure you have your big pwc in your Friday schedule to get the nitrAtes down. I'd also turn your heater down now (if you have it up), so you don't forget.

Here is a quick question though ...

I just realized I'm out Friday too so should I still leave ammonia out on Fri and then do a big PWC Sat morning as soon as I get up ?

Here is a quick question though ...

I just realized I'm out Friday too so should I still leave ammonia out on Fri and then do a big PWC Sat morning as soon as I get up ?

The bacteria can go a couple days without ammo without a problem. It's your call, either way will work :)

Back
Top Bottom