New & in need of help with testing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corinneb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone

I am hoping to share my tank information and looking for advice with my current levels.

I am beginning to think ive bitten off more than i can chew but perhaps just need assuring!

I have a Birob Life 45, 12 Gallon with two Neon Tetra's and a male betta.

Todays readings are at 0.25 ammonia, PH 7.6, Nitrites 0 and Nitrate 10.

In did a partial water change and these readings stayed the same.

Are my levels okay?

Any advice welcome

thanks

Welcome to AA!

What brand of testing equipment are you using? I'm suspecting that your tests are either inaccurate or you're misreading it. A PWC should at the very least change your nitrate reading.

I would guess that your ammonia level is actually zero, so your parameters would be fine. It's easy to misjudge the color comparison.

Hi Big Jim

Im using an AIP master kit? Sorry i should have just said my amonia level stayed the same.

Am i right in think that with my nitrate level at 10 this was okay so i didnt retest.

Thanks for your help

I use the API kit too. It's pretty good, but sometimes the ammonia test is hard to read. You need to hold the tube against the card and look at it in good light. Even then, it doesn't always show zero exactly.

10ppm is fine for nitrates. I usually try to keep mine below 20ppm. Some people will tolerate as high as 40ppm. Your tank is doing fine.

It was definatley lime rather than yellow. At what reading would there be in issue 0.5?

Continue to do PWC of 15% per week unless something out the ordinary?

When would you advise to add the next fish?

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom