New lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plant0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got new lights today they are 13W CFL daylight. This tank is a 20 gallon high and I'm going for medium(ish) light. Will these be good enough and the light is a little concentrated so there are a few shadowy places. Will it be fine? I'm only growing plants that attach into driftwood like anubis, java fern, java moss, and buce. This will work for them right? The tank will mostly be java fern. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1436561831669.jpg
    1436561831669.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 54
I think there will be a good amount of light for the plants you want to grow (as they are low light plants), but I advise planting more heavily than what you have now as algae could take over if there is too much light not being used up by what you already have growing. (I just started my first planted tank and still think I need more plants in mine:lol:.) I would suggest investing in some aerial plants such as duckweed, salvinia, etc. to "dampen" the light if you figure out down the road that you don't need as much light but don't want to buy a new fixture. Also, they are fantastic at taking nutrients out of the water column. Your tank looks good so far! How long has it been set up?

I think there will be a good amount of light for the plants you want to grow (as they are low light plants), but I advise planting more heavily than what you have now as algae could take over if there is too much light not being used up by what you already have growing. (I just started my first planted tank and still think I need more plants in mine:lol:.) I would suggest investing in some aerial plants such as duckweed, salvinia, etc. to "dampen" the light if you figure out down the road that you don't need as much light but don't want to buy a new fixture. Also, they are fantastic at taking nutrients out of the water column. Your tank looks good so far! How long has it been set up?
It's been setup for about 2 years. I'm going through a rescape that's why it looks so empty. :) just gotta find the right driftwood and order a bunch of Java to start me off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom