New low tech tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up a new low tech 37 gallon tank. It has medium lighting (around 3 watts per gallon i think) and no co2 dosing. I will use flourish tabs a few times a year to keep up the iron. My substrate is Eco complete, mixed with a little bit of plain black silicone sand. The plants i plan to have: Grouncover of dwarf baby tears. 2 floating pennyworts. A large area of jungle Val for background. Some ruffled swords for front- midground plants. And a java fern on a piece of petrified wood (technically its rock). Does that sound right?

I forgot to mention ill have a red crypt wendtti. I read that crypts and Val's dont like co2 dosing unless u do a small amount daily, which I think will gt annoying. And I don't feel the need for co2, as everything i have is ok in low- medium light.

The dwarf baby tears sadly need a high level of light. I learned this one the hard way :banghead:

While most of the plants you picked like low - medium light, algae tends to thrive when the plants are limited by available carbon.

Also, any heavy root feeder such as the swords you want will need root tabs regularly added even with the substrate you picked. You could look into some O+ tabs because they last 3-4 months each whereas the flourish tabs will only last a month or so.

Thx for the advice on the tabs. Will Dwarf hairgrSs work in low medium light?

37 gallon tank with around 3 wpg is a pretty solid amount of light, Co2 will be the limiting factor. Dwarf hairgrass will grow in that light but it will be limited by carbon. You'll have some healthy grass I just don't know if it will carpet the way you want it to. I was thinking that you could get away with dosing Excel but Val's tend to burn from Excel. It's not a definite thing but it might happen.

Your Tank Lighting

I am setting up a new low tech 37 gallon tank. It has medium lighting (around 3 watts per gallon i think) and no co2 dosing. I will use flourish tabs a few times a year to keep up the iron. My substrate is Eco complete, mixed with a little bit of plain black silicone sand. The plants i plan to have: Grouncover of dwarf baby tears. 2 floating pennyworts. A large area of jungle Val for background. Some ruffled swords for front- midground plants. And a java fern on a piece of petrified wood (technically its rock). Does that sound right?

Hello Ninja...

3 watts per gallon is strong lighting. With this level of light, you're telling the plants, "I want faster growth". You'll need to give the plants more nourishment. Root tabs would be a good source of added nutrients. You'll have to monitor the plants and see how they do under stronger light. They may need more nutrients.

B

Well sorry i didn't respond earlier. It is actually closer to 2.4 watts per gallon i think. I will have ferts, just dont plan on adding co2... Unless all the plants die. Then ill start from scratch with plants and dosing.

Back
Top Bottom