New member and in need of help ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlin2001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I'm a new member and I'm needing some advice [emoji5] I've had my fresh water tank for a couple of months now and have a total of ten fish: 2 gold fish (2males 1female) And 7 platys (3 males and 4 females) anyway aha, the advice I'm needing is how to spot a pregnant fish. I do have a breeding box (I am not looking to breed them it is for any future pregnancies by my live bearers) however, most advice I have been given have not been very helpful so any advice would be much appreciated, thank you and I'm sorry for the long post [emoji23]

Hello! I am new here too! I have experienced a pregnant platy or two before. Usually you can tell if they have little tiny dark dots in the belly of the female. If you google pictures they are pretty clear to see.
If you plan to try and raise them, you will need a breeding box or the platys will eat the babies.

Hello! I am new here too! I have experienced a pregnant platy or two before. Usually you can tell if they have little tiny dark dots in the belly of the female. If you google pictures they are pretty clear to see.
If you plan to try and raise them, you will need a breeding box or the platys will eat the babies.

Thank you! I have looked at some photos but the variations in colour is really confusing as each one looks slightly different but I think I have discovered a pregnant one [emoji5]

For livebearers like guppies, swordtails, plaites, etc, the female will have a dark spot on her abdomen and she will appear swollen. When she is in labor she will attempt to hide somewhere in the tank and appear distressed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom