New Member - Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I have revised my list to this:

Rainbow shark x1 - Bottom
Tiger Barb x11 - Middle
Longfin Zebra Danio x7 - Top

Twig Catfish (Farlowella) x1 - Bottom
Black Ruby Barb x6 - Middle
Julii Cory x5 or Zebra Loach (Botia striata) x 3-4 - Bottom
Borneo Sucker (Gastromyzon sp.) x1 - Bottom im guessing

Red I already have in tank.

Would like something for the top but I don't know what. The zebra danio were suppose to be top but they are everywhere. I don't know if something like a Killifish would work. Mind the what temperate needs to be 75F. What do you guys think of this. Any suggestions.

Would like something for the top but I don't know what. The zebra danio were suppose to be top but they are everywhere. I don't know if something like a Killifish would work. Mind the what temperate needs to be 75F. What do you guys think of this. Any suggestions

What about hatchets? Or would danio's beat them up.

phishfriend said:
Would like something for the top but I don't know what. The zebra danio were suppose to be top but they are everywhere. I don't know if something like a Killifish would work. Mind the what temperate needs to be 75F. What do you guys think of this. Any suggestions

I am very pleased with the turquoise rainbowfish I got, and they hang mostly near the top. They flash to the top whenever you drop in bloodworms (in any form: dried, frozen, etc.).

When I pulled them into Aqadvisor it came up with

Warning: Tiger Barb is too aggressive to co-exist with Marble Hatchet.
Warning: Rainbow Shark is too aggressive to co-exist with Marble Hatchet.

Revised list

Returned the tiger barb, there was a bit of fin nip but wasnt as bad as I expect. I didn't want to take chance of it getting worse and not being about to return them. They were about just as bad as the Serpae tetra in my other tank.

Longfin Zebra Danio (Danio rerio) 7
Rainbow shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) 1
Black Ruby Barb (Pethia nigrofasciata) 10
Turquoise Rainbow (Melanotaenia lacustris) 4
Twig Catfish (Farlowella) 1
Julii Cory (Corydoras julii ) 6

I also ordered an Clown Pleco but it looks like im going to cancel that because I have driftwood in my tank and they eat wood. Anyone have an suggections for a smaller pleco that should be under 15-20 dollars. I like the Rio Negro/ Candy Striped Pleco but I read that they are aggresive. I need something that would be safe with plants, driftwood, and the Julii Cory. Also Temperature will be at 75 because of the Longfin Zebra Danio.

Red = Already in tank
Blue = Ordered

img_2212790_0_e586a843b261fb7da2aa9751132c2e33.jpg

I have a Rio Negro pleco, female who is the least aggressive of any pleco I've ever had. Male pleco of any species are the ones who can tend to get aggressive with other bottom fish. But it all depends on the pleco's personality. Plus all pleco's have to rasp on wood as they need the cellulose in it to help digest their food.

I have a clown that is very very reclusive. Not
Sure if its just him or all clowns. But the most shy Pleco I'v ever owner.

Bet you've always gotten males. I currently have a male common and he will bully other bottom feeders for no good reason.

Rivercats said:
Bet you've always gotten males. I currently have a male common and he will bully other bottom feeders for no good reason.

Could be! I also have a female albino that is active 24/7. I really like her and your right she isn't pushy.

Could be! I also have a female albino that is active 24/7. I really like her and your right she isn't pushy.

You know Albino BNP's are more active during the day. I have a longfinned albino BNP and she is always a lady, never pushes anyone around. Now if she could just give the yo-yo loaches lessons in manners.

Yeah I'm not 100% on the Clown yet might just pick up the BN instead. I'm not a real fan of Albino fish well at leash the ones I've seen lol. Either way I'm going to get him last. Going to add the Barbs tomorrow. I'm just worried they might mess with some of the plants. I heard they eat them sometimes.

I never liked the look of hardly any albino fish at all... But I recently got an albino pleco and I absolutely love it! Mine did the funniest thing the other night... It was near the waterline and all of a sudden it jumped onto the(what I call the lip of an HOB... The part that the water falls over into the tank) and stuck on it for a little while then jumped back in the tank. I had a pleco with my first go around with fish about 4 years ago and my pleco never did anything like that before. I was amazed. And I will say my albino pleco is always out, hardly ever hides, and so active!

Update

img_2221869_0_50b0c5b5665948663f74cf50817f4671.jpg

Longfin Zebra Danio (Danio rerio) 5
Rainbow shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) 1
Black Ruby Barb (Pethia nigrofasciata) 6
Turquoise Rainbow (Melanotaenia lacustris) 4
Twig Catfish (Farlowella) 1
Julii Cory (Corydoras julii ) 6
Oto (Otocinclus vittatus) 3

Added 6 Black Ruby Barb and 6 Julii Cory and transfered 3 Otos from the other tank to this one. Have to wait for the other Black Ruby Barbs to come in because the first shipment to LFS weren't in the best condition. Also added some Vallisneria, Java Fern and Windelov Java Fern.

See anything that should be changed or improvements?

Also thanks for all the help. Very useful information and great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom