The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chasetopher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

Started a 20 gallon tall tank with several low light plants last week, added 6 tiger barbs yesterday. All good so far. Great advise on this site!

:welcome: to AA! (y)

What type of TB's ... The Regular, Green or Albino's?

I'm assuming your TB's are all juveniles? If so, your fine for now, but a 20gal will end up being a bit too small for a school of TB's. As they mature, they will become more active as they start to establish a hierarchy, so you'll see them going at it from time to time. If you can upgrade them to a 30gal down the road, you'll get to see their more natural behavior when they have more swimming room.

Its 4 regular, 2 green, all juvenile. How long until they grow to an uncomfortable size? I'm probably moving across town in the fall so there will be a tank swap either way then, or using my friends quarantine tank.

You have a few months so it's not imperative you upgrade tank size yet ... a 20gal affords you more time than if you had a 10gal. Although they'll only get to about 2inches(maybe 3 in some cases), it's their activity level that requires a larger tank, with plenty of open space for swimming with plants, DW, rocks along the back and sides.

Also, a nasty aspect of TB's (aside from the fin-nipping) is their bullying of the smallest member of the shoal as they mature. Often the runt of the litter gets it's fins nipped, will hide and if the bullying is bad enough get stressed out which could make it prone to illness. Just something to keep an eye out ... it's why I had to remove a Male Albino from my main tank and put it in my son's
10gal.

1 Tiger is clearly larger than the rest, and the 2 greens are slightly smaller than the Tigers, so the order shouldn't take too long to be created. Just hope they play nice.

Back
Top Bottom