The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michaels226

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm Mike. I'm new to aquariums and fish. My six year old daughter received a 20 gallon aquarium starter kit and I need help. LOL

I made the mistake of jumping before I knew what I was doing so I am starting over again from step one.

I've been looking this site over for a few hours now and I'm impressed with the knowledge I'm seeing here. I know it doesn't mean much considering how much of a noob I am but I've learned a lot already and I'd like to get this tank going without killing any more fish. Sigh. :facepalm:

Mike

Welcome to AA. While cycling, take some time to plan your stock and research compatibility to avoid problems in the future.

Here is some fish food for thought!!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/common-newbie-pitfalls-67468.html

There are lots of bad experiences to help keep you on the right track.

My comments are on understanding how big your fish selections will get, and that as many say here, and I learned only after being on here, that the fish don't just grow to their tank size and stop, they suffer stunting, which is horrible. And you don't want that to happen. Don't just take the pet store's word for it triple check multiple sources. I have been very surprised in learning how big some of those cute little fish can get.

Silver Dollars, most Plecostomus, gold fish only after great consideration and a pond or really big tank and filter system, Catfish careful selection, eel, knife fish Bichter/Dinosaur fish, understanding aggressive, semi-aggressive and peaceful tropical fish should pretty much be kept with their respective type, although there are some exceptions to the rules, and you need to understand how the dynamics work.

For many fish, if another fish will fit into their mouth, they will eat it.

Happy fish keeping.

It is a great responsibility to keep a creature from it's own habit and place it into ours.

Stock your tank by adult size of fish. I like large groups of small fish :). Less poop !

If you want to try live plants you can dip a toe with some Java Ferns, just tie them to rocks, wood or decor. Roots will grow around.

Live plants will help your cycle and give you something to look at.

image-4208048795.jpg

Back
Top Bottom